Hi newbe here vegetarian

Options
Vegigirl99
Vegigirl99 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 28 in Getting Started
New after keto for few years finding it hard to transition scared of carbs but due to health had to transition t9 a more healthier diet nothing has ever worked for me only keto so I'm 😨 I will take any advise thanks
😊

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

I've been vegetarian for almost 50 years (ovo-lacto, i.e., I eat dairy and eggs).

I eat a lot of carbs, but they're mostly from veggies, fruits, no-sugar-added dairy foods, and some whole grains. For me, those are filling and enjoyable to eat. I lost weight fine eating 150g+ carbs daily, maintain weight fine eating lots more (usually 225g+). Some people do find that carbs spike their appetite, but this may be less common if the carbs come from whole foods rather than baked goods, candy, refined food products.

Advice?
    * If you don't eat any animal-sourced foods, supplement vitamin B-12. You might benefit from other supplements depending on details of your eating style, but plants don't contain B-12 and we need some.
    * Don't believe the vegan advocacy sites that claim vegetarians don't need to worry about protein because plants are Just That Good. It's not true. We need the same nutrient intake as omnivores, we just get the nutrients from different food choices.
    * Vegetarianism isn't necessarily healthier than omnivory. (For example, Oreos are vegan. :D ).
    * Vegetarianism doesn't guarantee weight loss. (I was an obese vegetarian for decades; now I'm at a healthy weight, eating the same range of foods, just fewer calories of them.)

This is a reliable source for nutritional information about plant-based eating:

https://veganhealth.org/

You might be interested in joining this MFP group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/145477-herbivores-of-mfp

If you have specific questions, please ask.

Best wishes!

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited March 28
    Options
    Normally it's vegetarians and vegans transitioning to keto for the health benefits, so hope you find a solution that works for you. :)
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Vegigirl99 wrote: »
    New after keto for few years finding it hard to transition scared of carbs but due to health had to transition t9 a more healthier diet nothing has ever worked for me only keto so I'm 😨 I will take any advise thanks
    😊

How long have you been vegetarian? Why are you choosing to be vegetarian? If it's ethics..... great! I'm proud of you. Ethics is really the main reason to go vegetarian.