Made drastic adjustments to my diet

Options
I am turning 50 in the end of August. I have a few medical conditions. Under active thyroid, bipolar disorder, and I have a cyst behind my right ear. To make it short, I had headaches for years. They thought it was the cyst but it is actually migraines. I was put on topamax 3 months ago. It drastically changed my appetite. My dr said it would.

My lifestyle before was almost no activity except going to the store. I work from home. I was 200 pounds at that appointment 3 4 ago. My dr said I have to be active 3 times a week. It will help my migraines. The first week I walked 3 times. The next 4 times a week. Around 15 mins. Today, I am walking 4 days a week from 1.8 to 2 miles and every other walk I do interval jogs. I also strength train 2 of those days, 1 day of yoga and 1 day of rest.

I cut out all junk food completely. I do put 1 tsp of sugar in my coffee that I maybe drink half of a day. We make our own maple syrup and I do use it in my cooking and very little to sweeten a few things I eat.

I don’t eat any fast foods or restaurant foods once every two weeks for a family dinner. I eat very little processed foods. I make most everything myself. Bread tortillas yogurt. What ever I can.

I cook very healthy meals that include proteins and Whole Foods. Lots of plant based foods.

Because of the medication I have to force myself to eat. Sometimes I can maybe eat 600 calories and other days 1200 calories.

I don’t binge or eat late. I eat a few bites of sweet on our family dinner for a reward.

I have hit the brick wall and been stuck at
180’s. I can’t get past it. My waist is going down. I started at 46 inches and now 41 inches. I am confused about my weight. Can someone explain why?

Answers

• Taradagostino0830
    Taradagostino0830 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sry about the grammar. The cursor jumped a few times and it changed my sentences.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Sry about the grammar. The cursor jumped a few times and it changed my sentences.

I'm slightly confused... have you hit a plateau? Trying to continue losing weight and not losing? But then you say you're forcing yourself to eat? I'm not sure how you're tracking your calories? Are you estimating how much food you eat or do you measure it?

The one thing I can promise you is that if you are genuinely only eating 600-1200 calories a day you will lose weight.
    A 10 year old child would even lose weight on that many calories. The medication could maybe be causing some water retention, which may cause you to stay at the same weight for a bit. But if it's just water weight from the medication, you should see your weight start to go down again within a couple weeks.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    I dont know.
    I do see you've lost 20 pounds in 3 months? Celebrate the victory!
    I would encourage you to love your body! Embrace the fact you're finally addressing (and hopefully controlling, you didn't say) the migraines.
    Your body may take a little time to adjust to your new lifestyle. It's common to lose a significant amount of water weight at first, then adjust. It looks like the scale is stuck, but you may actually be losing fat while gaining back some of the water weight.
    Just be patient a little longer. Keep loving your body and treating it well!