Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,381 Member
    Options
    I find scanning bar codes to be handy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,187 Member
    Options
    Since it's a free app . . . how worth it does it need to be, really? (Yeah, there's a premium version. It's optional.)

I used MFP to lose around 50 pounds, class 1 obese to healthy weight (at age 59-60, while severely hypothyroid, if that matters) and maintain a healthy weight for about 8 years since (after about 30 previous years of overweight/obesity).

The app doesn't do that, though, The user who commits to the process does that. The app just helps with the record keeping (a lot, IME).

If you commit to the process, it'll work. If you don't, it won't.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I used it to record my weight and log food. The forums were sometimes helpful and sometimes not.

The "friend" thing? I used it for a while and then stopped.

For me, I already knew I needed to lower the amount of food I ate and I didn't know by how much and what that would entail until I started seriously logging everything I ate. That was the game changer for me and I haven't looked back. It's so easy to log food and make adjustments.

I lost 80ish pounds in 2007-08 and I'm still at my goal in a healthy weight range (per BMI.)

I agree with Ann, it isn't the app - it's me (you.)
  • RobertaNewhauser
    RobertaNewhauser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m new to this.. I can blame my trip with breast cancer, or my thyroid cancer ( had it removed), my back surgery.. I blame me for eating the junk food, as I was feeling sorry for me.. Now after triple bypass 1.5 years ago. I joined the Y, but exercise alone wasn’t helping.. Now I need help, this is why I joined..
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited March 30
    Options
    Worth it?

Instructor jokingly (and lovingly, I might add) pointed to a petite yoga practitioner in class this morning, looked at me and said “Wow, Spring! You lost, like, a whole Meg! And have kept it off!”

I jokingly told Meg to climb on my back so I’d remember what it felt like to carry that much extra weight.

We all had a good laugh. Others in the class, who didn’t know “Before Me” were shocked.

So yeah, for me, very much worth it.

Just having it on your phone, opening and staring at it, though, won’t do a darned thing for you. It’s not a magic pill. You have to invest effort to harvest results.
  • Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just use the free version and see if you like it or not - you have nothing to lose! You really do have to make an effort to use it though and take the calorie counting and logging seriously though if you want to see results.

I personally enjoy using it to log food, seeing everyone kick their goals, and being a cheerleader to others on their journeys!
  • jcawelti
    jcawelti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’m 52 and have used this app on and off over the past 10 years. I’ve found when I’m on it I lose weight. When I’m off it I gain weight. So much of it is just being conscious about what you’re eating and how much you’re exercising. Now, why do I go off it then? Generally laziness. How I’ve combatted that? I paid for it. It actually is substantially better when you pay for it. Easier, faster, more bells and whistles. But the free version will do the job as well.