Need help losing weight at 63

Options
Hi -I’m 63 and have a bad knee probably won’t be having surgery until 65. I have to lose about 15 lbs. My problem is my appetite. I can walk a little for exercise about a mile a day and I can do yoga for up to 45 minutes a day . I’m always HUNGRY. I need some tips for foods that will make me feel full so I can lose this weight. Also any quick start diet to help me get a lil off right away . I don’t eat meat also . Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I guess I have to cut out sugar . I don’t drink alcohol either . Thanks for anyone that can help .

Replies

• TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Too few calories from an aggressive weekly weight loss goal can drive hunger. Meal timing can also drive hunger.

Protein, fat and fiber are satiating components. Eating at a calorie deficit can require some experimentation in the beginning.

I would start with the protein component (since you don't eat meat). Are you meeting protein goals every day? Back in the day, I used to eat low fat and was starving much of the time. How is your water intake? Sometimes we can confuse thirst with hunger.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    What does your current eating routine look like?

Many people will find so-called "whole foods" more filling than "ultra processed foods". Many people will find protein filling, or perhaps fats, or a combination. Some people need high-volume foods to feel full. (Low calorie veggies are an example of the latter, but not the only example.)

Eating timing can also matter. People here report doing best on anything from one meal a day to all-day grazing on small snack-sized meals, and everything in between.

Log your food, and notice days when you feel a little more hungry or a little less hungry: What was different? It could be eating routine, sleep, social triggers, cutting calories too far, increasing exercise too fast, emotional responses, boredom, sub-par nutrition, timing of meals/snacks or their nutritional compositions, and more.

Certain types of fiber (fermentable) can help with satiation, in that they trigger a natural version of the ingredients that are in weight-loss drugs. (Barley is an example, but not the only such food.)

I don't eat meat, either (haven't since 1974, at least not knowingly/intentionally). I do eat some sugar, and even drink some alcohol. I lost weight (from class 1 obese) back in 2015-16 starting at age 59, and have been maintaining a healthy weight since. From that experience, I think weight management is sort of like a fun, productive science fair experiment for grown-ups: We can try certain strategies, analyze the results, adopt the tactics that work for us personally, and drop those that don't.

Experiment, observe, adjust, keep going. Progress will ensue. It may not be fast progress, sometimes not even steady, but with persistence there will be progress eventually.

I'm more of a believer in finding relatively easy new habits that lead gradually in a positive direction. That "quick start" idea may work for some, but it can also make the process so difficult that people give up. Different tactics work for different people.

FWIW, I found that my joint pain/problems were reduced as I lost weight. Even that 15 pounds could gradually make a difference.

Best wishes - success is worth the effort!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Eating mostly carbs is going to make most people hungry when in a deficit, especially if they're refined with sugar which is what you seem to be eluding to with your sugar remark. A whole food plant based diet with adequate protein is probably as difficult for the average person as is a ketogenic diet for a meat eater. I would suggest you consult with a healthcare practitioner that deals with metabolic interventions because what ever your going to do to fix your problem will probably need to have a support system for best results, especially if you need to lose weight for surgery. My advice would be to up your protein, a lot and eat more whole foods.
  • flburn
    flburn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Up your protein and fiber