No carb diet

Options
I would like to hear a professionals opinion on running with this diet
Tagged:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Your talking carnivore I suspect. If you google carnivore there's lots of doctors that have clinics for lifestyle interventions to combat diabetes, obesity and other comorbidities that prescribe to a low carb and ketogenic lifestyle who also support the carnivore diet, maybe look there.
  • Healthcoachsteve_
    Healthcoachsteve_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd say going no Carb with a running program can definitely be helpful. What would matter the most is your goals and if you are able to tolerate the "No carb" routine very well. I've worked with lots of clients who have done great on Keto or carnivore and others who did not tolerate it well at all. The most important aspect of any eating routine is your ability to remain consistent. Its well documented that almost all diets have about equal benefit early on, but with adherenece falling off after about 6mos there's weight regain there after.
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2
    Options
    Eat in a way that you can maintain for life and eliminating a whole macronutrient is not sustainable for most people. Going keto or carnivore may get weight off a bit quicker due to being more satiating however a carb inclusive diet with the same weekly calories will yield the same Fatloss result.

Once you go off those no carb diets you’ll most likely gain the weight back.

You might want to get more familiar with the carnivore diet as well as the ketogenic diet because the demographic that eventually navigate through trial and error trying to find solutions to their health problems like diabetes, fatty liver, Insulin resistance, lethargy etc generally end up there, as opposed to someone just trying it because they're curious that it might help them lose weight, which if that's the case, generally fail, like most diets where people only try to restrict their calories and being hungry a lot of the time is not a nice state to be in. Yeah if someone is consuming a SAD diet for the most part then all of a sudden one day eliminate all carbs just trying to find that magic pill for weight loss nirvana, well that is a recipe for disaster and it feeds the narrative that keto and carnivore are bad, well duh, lol.

Also that demographic that have found keto or carnivore for health reasons is generally a journey that's taken them a long time to find, years for many, including myself and an increasing demographic that are finding it were vegan, crazy but true. Anyway weight loss for these people is not high on the list of reasons and actually most just found to be a bonus. Try eating just meat and fat and see how difficult it is to overeat, it's almost impossible, it's because their satiated which is basically the opposite of hunger. The main reason these types of diets work for health reasons is the fact they take pretty much all the foods that can cause inflammation, disease and weight gain out of their diet, basically it's the ultimate elimination or fodmap diet, it's not really that complicated.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Google KETO. You will be flooded with information. I eat low carb because it definitely helps me to maintain my current weight.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    edited April 2
    Options
    Eat in a way that you can maintain for life and eliminating a whole macronutrient is not sustainable for most people. Going keto or carnivore may get weight off a bit quicker due to being more satiating however a carb inclusive diet with the same weekly calories will yield the same Fatloss result.

You might want to get more familiar with the carnivore diet as well as the ketogenic diet because the demographic that eventually navigate through trial and error trying to find solutions to their health problems like diabetes, fatty liver, Insulin resistance, lethargy etc generally end up there, as opposed to someone just trying it because they're curious that it might help them lose weight, which if that's the case, generally fail, like most diets where people only try to restrict their calories and being hungry a lot of the time is not a nice state to be in. Yeah if someone is consuming a SAD diet for the most part then all of a sudden one day eliminate all carbs just trying to find that magic pill for weight loss nirvana, well that is a recipe for disaster and it feeds the narrative that keto and carnivore are bad, well duh, lol.

Also that demographic that have found keto or carnivore for health reasons is generally a journey that's taken them a long time to find, years for many, including myself and an increasing demographic that are finding it were vegan, crazy but true. Anyway weight loss for these people is not high on the list of reasons and actually most just found to be a bonus. Try eating just meat and fat and see how difficult it is to overeat, it's almost impossible, it's because they’re satiated which is basically the opposite of hunger. The main reason these types of diets work for health reasons is the fact they take pretty much all the foods that can cause inflammation, disease and weight gain out of their diet, basically it's the ultimate elimination or fodmap diet, it's not really that complicated.
    the comment was MOST PEOPLE and not ALL PEOPLE plus I think that when the majority of people think of carbs they think of the ultra processed types. Hard to imagine things like beans, potatoes, fruit, etc causing inflammation, disease, and weight gain when you’re comparing equal overall calorie amounts.

• neanderthin
    Options

Also that demographic that have found keto or carnivore for health reasons is generally a journey that's taken them a long time to find, years for many, including myself and an increasing demographic that are finding it were vegan, crazy but true. Anyway weight loss for these people is not high on the list of reasons and actually most just found to be a bonus. Try eating just meat and fat and see how difficult it is to overeat, it's almost impossible, it's because they’re satiated which is basically the opposite of hunger. The main reason these types of diets work for health reasons is the fact they take pretty much all the foods that can cause inflammation, disease and weight gain out of their diet, basically it's the ultimate elimination or fodmap diet, it's not really that complicated.
    the comment was MOST PEOPLE and not ALL PEOPLE plus I think that when the majority of people think of carbs they think of the ultra processed types. Hard to imagine things like beans, potatoes, fruit, etc causing inflammation, disease, and weight gain when you’re comparing equal overall calorie amounts.

My post wasn't about weight gain, fat loss or calories.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options

well, demonizing healthy carbs seems counterproductive to dietary information but you do you if you think that is works best for you then more power to ya.

My contact circle is large and only 1 person adheres to zero carbs so I think that’s out of the norm, lol and she’s from the “carbs make me fat” camp”.

• neanderthin
    Options

well, demonizing healthy carbs seems counterproductive to dietary information but you do you if you think that is works best for you then more power to ya.

My contact circle is large and only 1 person adheres to zero carbs so I think that’s out of the norm, lol and she’s from the “carbs make me fat” camp”.

Well Tom, I'm certainly not surprised you came to these conclusions.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options

There are a rather large number of people out there who do find plants cause inflammation for them. All it takes in spending some time in the carnivore circles to find that out. I can't think of many, or any at the moment, who say it is the carbs that do so. I am sure there are some. The ones I have read and watched would blame other things in plant based foods that they react negatively to.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited April 4
    Options
    Not sure to what extent you mean professional but after decades of training, diets, fitness, college degree in physiology, addictions disordered eating and the biggest weight roller coaster ever, every diet, program. Restart, this is my now life long, happy and rejuvenating discovery as s food list
    I'm not giving it a title- not calling it anything except the foods I eat that are what make me feel the most alive, vital and happy.
    Here is my main grocery list:

-Chick peas, canelli beans, lentils, butter beans and black beans
    - Leafy greens- spring mix, powder greens, baby spinach, kale, etc.
    - Asparagus, broccoli, cabbages, carrots, celery, red, yellow, orange peppers, zucchini, squash,
    - - Mushrooms, medicinal mushrooms
    - Ezekiel sprouted bread, wholegrain pita, Plain multigrain rice cakes, Wasa light rye crackers, German bread, Sourdough
    - Hummus, plant based unsweetened coconut yogurt, plant based dips from cashews, tahini, etc.
    - Sweet potato, Old fashioned oats, buckwheat, wheat brand, oatbran
    - Tofu, tempeh, edamame
    - Pea protein, raw plant protein
    - Almond, oat, hemp and cashew milks
    - Nuts, seeds, flax chia, nut and seed butter
    - Persimmons, watermelon, blackberries, apples, cherries, papaya, jackfruit
    - Balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, Nutritional yeast, fresh and dried herbs, spices
    - Organic coffee and teas
    - MICROGREENS! Sunflower sprouts
    - sea greens, nori Wakami
    😁

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    There aren't many professionals here, just mostly interested amateurs. Maybe see a registered dietitian, or a running coach with nutrition credentials?

I'm a short-endurance athlete (rowing, mostly boats but also machines, not running; and recreational these days, not much competing). I do have some coaching education/credentials in my sport.

I wouldn't consider low/no carb personally, but that's more about hedonism in my case than athletic theory. I love my veggies and fruits, would not want to reduce them from my current high volume. I also consider them nutritious, health-promoting.

For anyone, but particularly athletes in cardiovascular sports, carbs aren't the devil. However, some successful athletes do follow low carb/keto diets. Some of them do consume some carbs timed around workouts, expecting to burn those off quite quickly.

If you find the idea appealing, why not try it for a while (multiple weeks, to best gauge adaptation), see if it helps or hinders you? Some of the reactions will be individual and subjective.

Best wishes!

• ceemax55
    ceemax55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recommend listening to this podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je-UfwlYEiU&list=PLkkRSboRx_u3Z1j6E6nFv8izteKtmLRlP&index=1&pp=iAQB.
    Dr. Anthony Chaffee and his guest may give you, if not full answers, at least direction.