App’s Macro Tracking

Options
Hi there, I am new to the app and wonder if anyone can confirm if they’ve had weight loss success with the current app settings for macro tracking?

I have had some huge success with my own spreadsheet and an online coach and am trying to transition to tracking them in one spot (the app). Any feedback on success would be amazing.

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    The direct key thing for weight loss is calories. Macros aren't that important . . . theoretically.

Macros can matter indirectly, for compliance with calorie goal: Sub-ideal nutrition can cause fatigue so we move less, burn fewer calories; or spike appetite so we find it too difficult to stick to the calorie goal. There are some differences in net calories from the macros, because different macros require slightly different calories to digest/metabolize. But in a mixed (balanced, nutritious) diet, that's a small factor, honestly.

Personally, I set calorie goals in grams, vs. percents. But I ended up losing from class 1 obese to a healthy weight at close to the MFP default macro goals. I've maintained a healthy weight for around 8 years since, same macro goals.

Best wishes!

• melprososki6156
    melprososki6156 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Melanie, and I have been using this app for about 6 months, after I gained a lot of weight, and fell into depression because I lost my youngest brother the day after my birthday,less than 2 months later I got home from work and found my 26 year old only son deceased. I just threw myself into work and started drinking every day as soon as I got off work. I had been smoking for 20+ years. Worked and ended up very sick just before Covid started. I feel down 2 flights of stairs, my doctor at the time told me there was nothing wrong with me, she finally referred me to pain spine and joint doctor. First thing he did was got a CT scan, I have 3 separate injuries to my spine, torn rotator cuff, I am unable to have surgery due to my respiratory problems, anyway I try to walk more and more daily, but some days the pain is bad and I have to stay in my bed until the pain gets bearable. So I keep using this app to monitor my calories and logging what I eat. I also use the step tracker and my weight when I started was 276lbs the most I have ever weighed, I have 2 daughters that reminded me I was all they had left. I put my cigarettes in the trash and my Vodka. I have not smoked or drank in the past 4 1/2 years, my current weight is 238lbs. This app is helping me lose weight, walking to trying and meet or exceed the goals set for me, and when I can afford to I will go premium on the app.
    Thank you for taking time to read about my Journey so far.