Injured and tring

Options
My hips and legs are having troubles been going to spin doctor,chiropractor, and physical therapy, and still tring to work 3 miles aday .
My diet is horrible, I'm hungry all the time so bad that when I'm eating I'm wanting to eat something else 😫

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    franfat wrote: »
    My hips and legs are having troubles been going to spin doctor,chiropractor, and physical therapy, and still tring to work 3 miles aday .
    My diet is horrible, I'm hungry all the time so bad that when I'm eating I'm wanting to eat something else 😫

I get that you're in pain and frustrated. You may have been typing a little fast and I don't understand everything you said. Maybe retype the first sentence?

If you're trying to workout through the pain, don't. Let yourself heal. Find something gentle to do so you can still be somewhat active while your legs are recovering. Sure, you won't burn as many calories from gentler activity, but you will heal faster, and weight loss is more effectively done by eating less than exercising more.

When my diet is "horrible," the foods I eat aren't very filling. However, when I met my protein goal, the MFP default of 20%, and the MFP fiber goal through foods with fiber (as opposed to a supplement) I do feel full, and can stop eating much sooner than if I were eating junk/convenience/hyper-palatable foods.

I saved this article years ago. The link no longer works.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have lived through several bad injuries between 2020 and 2023. I sprained my foot, hurt my back, and had severe hip pain. However, in 2020 I lost 20 lb. while recovering from my foot injury. I ate several small meals per day, keeping my calories around 1350 (because I didn't burn much due to lack of movement) and I did seated cardio each day for 20-30 minutes. Check out Caroline Jordan on YouTube.

I had difficulty with hunger as well. I found that several small meals per day really helped me to not be so hungry all the time and I had something to look forward to.