myfitnesspal and a1c

Options
barbwyrre
barbwyrre Posts: 1 Member
I enrolled in a Diabetes Prevention Program in July 2023 due to my pre-diabetic a1c level. I chose myfitnesspal to track my food for the program. In 6 months, my a1c level is no longer pre-diabetic and I lost 30 lbs. I continue to track all food and will continue for the foreseeable future.

Replies

• JDun7646
    JDun7646 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great work
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    👏 ✌️ 👏
    Good for you!
  • lpwest3
    lpwest3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great stuff, bet you're glad you put that genie back in the bottle before it became a major problem :)
  • KerriganUnknown
    KerriganUnknown Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thats wonderful.
    I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in 2022.
    I hope things keep getting better for you.
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kerri i'll be here to report my weight and b/s in the morning. Had a good day today
  • lcharpentier2
    Options
    Well guess yesterday was a good day weight is down and b/s 6.7 So on to another good day.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I have a success story, too. From pre-diabetic (A1C 5.7) to exactly in the middle of the "normal" range (A1C 5.2) in three months. If you're reading this and you don't think you can do it, we are here to tell you that you can. It does take commitment, but it's totally doable, and in quite a short amount of time.

@lcharpentier2 glad to see you're making those changes. Stick with it! And be sure to check in with your doctor regularly, to get your meds adjusted as needed.
  • lcharpentier2
    Options
    Good morning to all that enter here. Well another good day done a bit of a gain. Guess my diet muffins not as friendly as I thought they'd be. Oh well today is another day. B/S is nice at 6.1 so that is four good days.
  • lcharpentier2
    Options
    Good for you Bye Bye your smart to take control right away. I waited ten years now it's only been starting on my 5th day b/s are in the sixes at fasting early morning. So now to keep on the right track. Good luck.
    Linda the great Northen Ontario
  • glenz521
    glenz521 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    barbwyrre I also joined a Diabetes Prevention Program through our insurance company. We just started 3 weeks ago and it runs for an entire year. My only problem is I am trying to do this in conjunction with going to a Weight Management Dr. at our clinic. They are having me do low carb and the Diabetes Prevention Program is leaning towards calorie counting. I have to find a balance between the two. I am waiting to hear back from the Diabetes Prevention Instructor to see if they can manage me doing low carb. I started really trying this week. Since Sunday I have lost 5.6 lbs. My A1C when I started was 5.7 so I just squeaked by to be eligible for the Diabetes Prevention Program. I figured it couldn't hurt to try both programs, especially because that one is free through our ins.
  • NonDebutante
    NonDebutante Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 10 years ago Did I do anything to help myself no. Here I am on 4 metformin a day 80 units of insulin and ozempic once a week. Yes I did all this to myself. I keep saying what to hell i'm 75 years old. Well I started on April 2nd to watch my diet. april 3rd seen 6 today was 6.9 so doing something right. Now to get more than a few good days. I start then give up. I need help.

Congratulations on the dip to 6!! Forgive yourself for all things past, friend. We do the best we can under the given set of circumstances.
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @glenz521 , I am doing both low carb and calorie counting. My morning carbs are around 15g, lunch and dinner around 30g per meal. I keep a close eye on my continuous glucose monitor (not covered by insurance) to learn which foods trigger glucose spikes. Small changes lead to bigger changes. Try not to change too many things at once because that can trigger burnout "all or nothing". It's a lot to process, to change dietary habits. For those of you with structured programs, fantastic! I hired a certified diabetes instructor/registered dietician and make changes under her guidance for about three months out of the year. Support is critical!
  • lcharpentier2
    Options
    Let's all get together and fight this thing called diabetes they say reversible well then let's do it. let's go for a run right now.
    linda from northern ontario
  • lcharpentier2
    Options
    Well blood sugar great again this morning 5.2 but the scale is up a little oh well. The scale matters but not as much as my blood sugar. The scale will eventually go down.
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 7
    Options
    How do you read your A1C every day? I thought we could only check the glucose in the blood because A1C is the 90-day average that we get when we have bloodwork done? What am I not getting :-)

Good job I am glad you A1C is down.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!