protein bars and sugars

Options
2»

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Switch from the bar to muscle milk 20g protein shake. There is only 2-5g of sugar based on the flavor you pic.

have you tried quest bars? they have 16-19 grams of fiber in them (depends on flavor), no sugar (some flavors have 2-6 grams of sugar, again, depends on the flavor) and no sugar alcohols AND they're lower in fat than most protein bars, especially with respect to saturated fat. all bars have 20 grams of protein.

have with a glass of water and it will seriously keep you full for hours.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    ech. i used to be able to handle those. but the sugar alcohols cripple me now. literally, i will be bent over in pain. plus, i try to stay away from sugar alcohols in general. you must have an iron stomach.

Nope... it's adamantium coated.
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    Switch from the bar to muscle milk 20g protein shake. There is only 2-5g of sugar based on the flavor you pic.

have you tried quest bars? they have 16-19 grams of fiber in them (depends on flavor), no sugar (some flavors have 2-6 grams of sugar, again, depends on the flavor) and no sugar alcohols AND they're lower in fat than most protein bars, especially with respect to saturated fat. all bars have 20 grams of protein.

have with a glass of water and it will seriously keep you full for hours.

correction-- very low sugar alcohols. but i mean, low. i'm very sensitive to sugar alcohols and quest bars do not affect me in that way at all.
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    ech. i used to be able to handle those. but the sugar alcohols cripple me now. literally, i will be bent over in pain. plus, i try to stay away from sugar alcohols in general. you must have an iron stomach.

Nope... it's adamantium coated.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeven better!
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    muscle milk

Those are painful to my wallet. I wish they weren't as they're pretty tastey too.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    + 1 for Quest Bars
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars all the way!! Love..Love..Love them. Tried Chocolate Brownie for the first time today, taste just like one of those little Debbie brownies with the colored candies on top, no joke!! Coconut cashew taste close to an Almond Joy to me. Had the Cinnamon Roll one for breakfast this morning, taste just like a cinnamon roll, so good. Apple Pie & Strawberry Cheesecake are both good too. Great amount of protein & fiber, low sugar & calories. PERFECT!!
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    does anyone know where you can get quest bars for cheapish..in canada?? they are $4 at the little nutrition store by my work! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein Bars as well. For best prices buy online from either nutritionexpress.com or bodybuilding.com.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    does anyone know where you can get quest bars for cheapish..in canada?? they are $4 at the little nutrition store by my work! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dunno. I get them from amazon. I've never seen them at a regular market in Canada, only the nutrition boutiques.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Most protein bars are just high protein candy bars covered in chocolate. High in cals/carbs/sugars

I love quest bars also but from what i'm hearing now they aren't as great for you as they claim. The carbs are "fibre carbs" although if you read into it. its a man made fibre which can cause bloating and other intestinal problems. Also they claim low sugar but sugar alcohols are going to have the same affect on your body causing a insulin spike and wont help with sugar cravings. there is still arguments going on wether sugar alcohols are any safer for you than real sugar. just my 2cents

If i were you i would look into easy homemade protein cookies/bars that way you know the food you're putting into your body and it isn't made up of 100s of chemicals that you can't even pronounce.
    Quest says their bars have NO sugar alcohols.
    http://www.questproteinbar.com/articles.html
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I usually "go" the morning after a day that I ate a Quest bar.. or two. Those fiber really "works".

Do you Quest bars eaters count just the net carbs? Or count total carbs?
  • scottymc4
    Options

well erythritol is a sugar alcohol they just say its "different". and they use sucralose which some people say isnt good for you. but i'll admit they taste awesome.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I tried the Detour Lean Muscle Whey Protein bar in Cookie Dough Caramel Crisp flavor. It was $2.99 for one with 32 grams of protein, 12 grams of fat, and 6 grams of carbs, 3 of which were sugar. So far it's the tastiest protein bar I've tried and didn't have a noticeable after taste like a couple I had. I'm still looking for the Quest bars in area though.

Edit: I got the protein grams wrong.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Just ordered the Quest raspberry white choc flavor.. can't wait to try it!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

well erythritol is a sugar alcohol they just say its "different". and they use sucralose which some people say isnt good for you. but i'll admit they taste awesome.
    Okay, I'll agree with that. *Some* have sucralose. Some have stevia.
    All I know is I have NO issues with Quest bars. No tummy issues, cramping etc. as I do with most sugar alcohols.
  • jenmarqueiro
    jenmarqueiro Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    wow thanks everyone for all the help! I will defo try Quest bars at some point, difficult as im from the UK so gonna be expensive probably! But I really do want to try them. I make my own protein pancakes, whole egg, egg white, 30g choco cookie protein powder and a banana/100g blueberries depending on what i want so i know whats in them and they are GOOOOD! I recommend making some =D

I dont seem to be too intolerant to a lot of sweeteners and such, so hopefully the alcohol sugars in bars wouldnt bother me. I had literally never heard of them until people wrote about it on this post =/ . . . learn something new everyday! :)
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Just ordered the Quest raspberry white choc flavor.. can't wait to try it!!

OK.. it's not bad but I still prefer the choc chip cookie dough flavor.