Is anyone here carb cycling?

Options
elenamfloria
elenamfloria Posts: 1 Member
If you are carb cycling, how is it working for you? What cycle are you using? Any tips?

Answers

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure why anyone would carb cycle unless they were training for a major endurance sport. Are you preparing for something like that?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    I’m not sure why anyone would carb cycle unless they were training for a major endurance sport. Are you preparing for something like that?

I think it's gained popularity in the keto community for people that want to go on and off keto. That way they still get to eat eat their carbs, but be "part time keto".
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

I think it's gained popularity in the keto community for people that want to go on and off keto. That way they still get to eat eat their carbs, but be "part time keto".

Oh, gotcha. Makes sense.

OP, regardless what diet you use, the only factor in losing weight is calories, despite what tabloids say. Have you tried eating in a small calorie deficit consistently and logging your calories? That way you don’t have to deal with extreme opposites, missing an entire macro group, and yo-yo dieting for an eternity.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    If you are carb cycling, how is it working for you? What cycle are you using? Any tips?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with carb cycling?

I kind of sort of do it accidentally...you know, a whole package of _ _ _ _ _ treat food one day, then all veg and protein the next.

Not purposely, just when I have to have a box of such and such...
  • jacwhitney1
    jacwhitney1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am doing Carb cycling with 1200 cals/day. Im on week one. Haven't lost any weight yet and working out 45 minutes a day. :-(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    @elenamfloria, I share others' question about what you're hoping carb cycling will do for you. It might also help to know some of your context, like what exercise load/types you do, and what your overall goals are (weight loss, health, nutrition, remediation of some health condition or risk, etc.).

My carb intake varies as a result of MFP's "eat back exercise calories when you exercise" concept, but I don't intentionally manipulate carb intake. (I eat quite a lot of carbs, 225g+ most days now that I'm maintaining a healthy weight long term.)

Some people do it because they think the higher-carb days will offset some of the problematic hormonal responses to calorie restriction. Some do it because they've fallen for the "confuse your body to keep it guessing" myth. I think some do it for athletic performance reasons, too, though it's not particularly common in my sport, outside of a more generalized "fuel your activity level" idea in which carb cycling is a result rather than an intentional goal.

• ddsb1111
    edited April 5
    Options
    I’ve been an athlete my entire life, and we didn’t have fancy wording like “carb cycling” 😊. We just ate a “normal diet” (is there such a thing anymore??) until we knew our diet would be compromised by either:

1. A long day without enough meals/calories
    2. A high endurance activity that would require a fast energy source

Carb cycling for any other reason seems like someone is at odds with the diet they’re struggling to adhere to.

My question is, why do it at all if not for examples 1 & 2? And how is it more beneficial than a balanced diet in someone’s goal calories?
  • ddsb1111
    edited April 5
    Options
    I am doing Carb cycling with 1200 cals/day. Im on week one. Haven't lost any weight yet and working out 45 minutes a day. :-(

Can you share your diary with us? It might be an obvious adjustment that can help make all the difference? Or perhaps, copy and paste a days entry if that’s more comfortable?