Options
Yesterday did 6,343 steps = 33 exercise calories
Today done 6,867 steps = 224 exercise calories
How are they so different???

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Are those numbers your total calorie adjustment from sync-ing your fitness tracker?

If so, the calories don't directly correlate with the steps. The calorie adjustment is a reconciliation between how much MFP thought you would burn based on your MFP activity level setting, and the amount of movement your tracker actually thinks you did. All kinds of movement that the tracker sees will count: Steps, arm movements, exercise (including both duration and intensity), home chores or job duties done with movement even if not stepping, etc.

In that scenario, my assumption would be that you did more moving (of any type, not steps) on the day with the 224 adjustment, less on the day with 33 calorie adjustment.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,130 Member
    Options
    The calories aren't based directly on the step count. The calorie adjustment comes from a fitness tracker, I presume? Depending on my heart rate, my fitness tracker gives a higher or lower calorie estimation for the same number of steps. If I'm very stressed, for example, my tracker will think my steps are more 'intense' and give a higher calorie count.