Hello

Options
I am a retired 73-year-old Fire Chief with over 30 years of experience. When I retired at the early age of 50, I went back to work for an additional nine years at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, where I conducted quarterly fire drills for the health care occupancies and was the Fire and Life Safety Manager and Emergency Planning Program Manager for both the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Since then, I have become physically inactive and overweight. I had previously been a runner who enjoyed the many benefits of running every day.

So, I am now intermittent fasting (16/8 hours) and working out daily on the treadmill. I monitor my food. I have tracked my calories, protein, and treadmill time with Microsoft Excel. But now I am trying the 30-day trial of MyFitnessPal, and I am impressed with how it integrates all of my quantifiable data.

Anyway, I have lost 24 pounds since February and feel great.

Replies

• Skimormor
    Skimormor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! I have been the doc for our fire agency’s annual physicals and heart lung screenings. Now I am mostly retired, but busy with grandchildren and doing lots of cooking for the family. At 64, I have gained weight recently I think because of my children’s families being closer, more unstructured time and distractions. I’ve used MyFitnessPal on and off as a calorie counter for years, but I just subscribed to the premium version in order to stay more motivated and focused on my health. I want to be skiing with my grandkids in 10 years. I have found that when I am logging calories I often will come in way under my target by the end of the day. I then can eat a little more than I would have thought, helping me to stay satisfied.
    Good luck! Nothing feels better than being fit and mobile!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    edited April 3
    Options
    My father-in-law was a fire chief for the military for close to 30 years before he retired. Kudos on you!

ETA: Oh, and welcome!