why am i losing more weight whilst doing less exercise

Options
hi! so recently on average i had been burning 2000kcal a day, but this past week and a half i have been burning 1500kcal a day, i have been eating the same amount of calories a day and the same foods pretty much.

however this past week i have noticed i have lost more weight despite doing less exercise?

why is this the case? is it just a coincidence or is there a more scientific reason for this?

thank you :)

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    1. The body needs water for repair after exercise. Maybe you lost a bit of water weight.

2. Maybe your NEAT went up subconsciously because you had more energy that you weren't burning in exercise, so more fidgeting etc.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,326 Member
    edited April 3
    Options
    We need a little more info to give advice. How tall are you? What's your starting weight/current weight? How long have you been working this plan? How are you burning 2000cals a day (that's awfully high, possible, but high)?

One thing that may play a role is that intense workouts break down muscle and muscles retain water as they repair. The loss you've seen the last week may just be water weight released as you lessened your intensity/time.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    If you were exercising a lot, slowing down on exercise will reduce some of the "inflammation" that surrounds your active muscle tissue... and you will lose "weight", in fact non fat mass... yet it is all a natural part of the operation of your body with zero overall effect to the total amount of long terms energy reserves you have (i.e. fat).

I would be a bit concerned with having an extra 2000 Cal in a day from exercise, unless you are referring to your total daily energy expenditure when you talk 2000 and 1500. At that point I would make the opposite comment that a TDEE of 1500 seems a bit on the low side unless you are very un-tall/light in weight/older in age

You don't win by losing weight fast... sustainably and in a way that allows you to move forward in the future without regaining is a much better goal! Take good care of yourself! :smiley:
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Weight has only meaning averaged over very long periods. Average your intake and expenditure for at least 4 consecutive weeks and compare it to the next 4 consecutive weeks. Compare your <<average>> weight over the first 4 weeks to the next 4. Then you can make meaningful conclusions.

This is due to the normal fluid and matter fluctiations in your organs and muscles.

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    Weight has only meaning averaged over very long periods. Average your intake and expenditure for at least 4 consecutive weeks and compare it to the next 4 consecutive weeks. Compare your <<average>> weight over the first 4 weeks to the next 4. Then you can make meaningful conclusions.

This is due to the normal fluid and matter fluctiations in your organs and muscles.

THIS. Don’t overthink it. If a pattern of more active and less active works, then carry on.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    it iscommon advice for people who want to look snatched for a particular event...ie, in their Oscar gown or wedding dress, etc. ....one week prior to the event to stop exercise. it does work from my personal experience. i can't recall the science behind it....i think i remember that your body is under less stress so you will release any stored water that is typically retained for muscle repair. water weight does make a difference on the scale...but also how your clothes fit and look on your body. from a 1n perspective....when i am unable to get to my routines for a weekish, i always drop at least 5 pounds until im back at the gym. this may be more noticeable for women and for those closer to their their target weight. but there should be lots of deets on line to provide you with more answers if you google it.