I am only 19 years old... am i the only one our there!

Options
Hi guys...
So i am only 19 years old and i feel like i am the only young adult/teenager in the world that is struggling with my weight? I used to be a size 5 or 7 when i meet my boyfriend 2 years ago and just gained all this weight!! To make things even worst... My boyfriend and his entire family are all skinny and when i say skinny i mean like size 4 or smaller! I just need to know that i am not the only one struggling and with support.

Replies

• Rachel89
    Rachel89 Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi guys...
    So i am only 19 years old and i feel like i am the only young adult/teenager in the world that is struggling with my weight? I used to be a size 5 or 7 when i meet my boyfriend 2 years ago and just gained all this weight!! To make things even worst... My boyfriend and his entire family are all skinny and when i say skinny i mean like size 4 or smaller! I just need to know that i am not the only one struggling and with support.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not 19 but I'm 23, which is still pretty young. You're not alone in this. We all encourage each other no matter what our ages are and I'm sure a lot of us can remember being 19 and not being in the greatest shape. Good luck to you!

:heart: Kels
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 years older than you, but the story is the same.

I met my boyfriend just over a year ago, and I've gained close to 20 lbs in that time period!

and yes, he (the boyfriend) and his brothers and sister and their spouses are all sticks. I hate it! his ex-wife was really thin also.

they're a runner family and all the siblings seem to have married runners (and when I say runners, I don't mean joggers, I mean they COMPETE, one of the brothers was even a professional runner). All of their friends are runners too.

And so, okay, I've taking up jogging. but I just don't fit in to his family tree. curvy and not athletic. I run 10 minute miles, he just ran a 10 mile race and finished at a pace of 5 min 30 sec per mile. for TEN MILES! I don't think I'll ever be able to run even ONE mile that fast.

He loves me, but I feel out of place with his circle of friends and family. I hate it.

I've been skinny before, so I can do it again, I know I'll never be able to fully keep up with him athletically, but at least I won't feel pathetic
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    i am 18 and feel exactly the same.. expectations keep getting higher and higher.. celebraties always manage to get thinner, there is at least 1 in every 5 girls that hs dealt with an eating disorder of some sort.. i am not blaming this on the media or what not but i just think the thinking of people in our age is really unhealthy.. and i always have to say this to myself ALL THE TIME.. love ur body!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Well said FB.... easier said than done:ohwell:

Rachel, you are certainly not the only one. Keep your goals in focus, lose the weight in a healthy way and you'll be just fine :bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I am 21, when i met my fiance 6.5 years ago i weighed 130lbs! Since we have been dating i gained 60lbs!!! His entire family is SKINNY!!! I mean distance/cross country runners look like they haven't eaten in a week but the eat REDICULOUS amounts of food. My fiance is 6'1" and weighs 160lbs...and he complains that he feels chubby (he DOES look chubby next to his 2 brothers and 2 sisters...but not next to a normal human). Nothing sucks more that their family gatherings...i feel like if i eat ANYTHING while i am there they will be all grossed out! "Look at that fat girl eating!! Gross!"

Hopefully...i'll get thinner and i won't feel so awkward around the skinny kids!!!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Uhm... when I was 19 I was struggling with my weight and in fact, now I an 26, and STILL struggling with my weight.

According to statistics, majority of us are :wink:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 20 and I've been in this little battle with my body since 8th grade.
    We're all in this together no matter what age. You're not in this alone, we're here for each other.
    Good luck and welcome!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I just turned 21 in March...When I was 16 I was a cute little 115 lbs, and then after a couple years of drinking and ice cream I graduated highschool at 155 lbs haha :laugh: Ah well, three years later I look like an entirely different person, about 25lbs lighter with a lot more muscle mass. Don't worry, your body will change, and there are plenty of people in your shoes. The journey is the fun part! :flowerforyou:
  • Rachel89
    Rachel89 Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks for the support EVERYONE! It's nice to know that you aren't in it alone!
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I'm old. :sad:
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm 19! :smile:
  • craighamilton219
    Options
    I'm older than dirt or at least a first cousin too it. I think no matter what age we are we feel your pain. Hang in there and don't give up.
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was 19 back in 90s
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 so you're definately not alone. Send me a message if you feel like talking/supporting someone you're own age!:flowerforyou:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Im young as well 24 and you are not in it alone. There are more of us out there, and girl make sure you lose wt for you to keep YOURSELF healthy not a guy happy. I understand the gain though its a comfort factor, but getting back to a five/seven is a great goal go for it were behind you
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm 19!
  • TheTimeIsNow
    Options
    Hey, I definitly feel what its like. Im 20. All the woman I've dated have been on the small side. I definitly got what you mean there. From my expiernces, the most important thing, is to not go on this jorney for ANYONE but yourself. If you set out to do this for someone else, you will probably fail.
  • xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    I'm 19 :flowerforyou: