Are these macros accurate?

Options
When I set a new goal in the my fitness pal app it automatically sets my macros. What are these macros based on? Should I follow their recommendations?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    They're based on mainstream recommendations from outfits like NIH/USDA, NIH, WHO, etc. For most people, they're a good starting point.

The exception would be people who cut calories stupid-far aiming for too-fast weight loss for their current body size. There's no getting adequate nutrition on too-few calories, no matter the percentage breakdown. We need certain minimums (in grams terms) of protein, fats, fiber and micronutrients in order to thrive. Too-low calories won't take us there.

I'd suggest logging your food, and seeing where you stack up against the MFP defaults, as a starting point. While you do that, you can learn more about nutritional theory (if you like) plus notice your personal individual response to that macro mix (in terms of energy level, satiation, etc.). There is some subjectivity in what mix is best, plus variations that may be beneficial if aging, having certain pre-existing health conditions, aging, etc. But the defaults are a reasonable starting point.

Best wishes!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    OP, general advice. Do no click through unfamiliar links from brand new posters.