While in cut phase, should I consume calories originally suggested?

Options
Jknip9484
Jknip9484 Posts: 20 Member
I’m post-menapausal 56 yr old female. Currently in cut phase consuming 1450 calories daily as the app suggested for losing weight. I exercise 5-6 days/week including cardio and strength training. The app suggests more calories based on how much exercise I do. Some days it’s near my caloric intake for maintaining weight. What should I do? Stick with the 1450 or eat the additional calories?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,227 Member
    Options
    I’m post-menapausal 56 yr old female. Currently in cut phase consuming 1450 calories daily as the app suggested for losing weight. I exercise 5-6 days/week including cardio and strength training. The app suggests more calories based on how much exercise I do. Some days it’s near my caloric intake for maintaining weight. What should I do? Stick with the 1450 or eat the additional calories?

I ate the exercise calories all through weight loss (at age 59-60) and now in long-term maintenance, after estimating the exercise carefully. It's worked fine.

How are you estimating the exercise: Fitness tracker sync to MFP? MFP exercise database? How many calories for what type/duration exercise? (Exercise calorie estimating is surprisingly subtle. That's why I'm asking. But close is good enough. :) )

Your "maintenance calories" change (increase) when you do more exercise. It's not a fixed thing. That's one (useful) thing that MFP is trying to teach.

MFP's instructions say to set your activity level in your MFP profile based on activity that does not include your intentional exercise. i.e., job, home chores, and that sort of thing. That's very important if you log exercise from the MFP exercise database manually. (It's less important if you have a tracker sync-ed to MFP, and have "allow negative adjustments" turned on in MFP.)

Making up numbers here, if my maintain-weight calories (with MFP set up per instructions) were 1800, I'd lose weight at (say) 1450. But if on some given day I do 300 actual calories of exercise, my maintain-weight calories aren't 1800 any more, they're 2100 on that day. That means that if I eat 1450+300=1750 calories, I have the same calorie deficit as I had at 1450 calories with no exercise, and can expect to lose fat at the same rate. That's true even though the 1750 calories would be very close to my no-exercise maintenance calories. I hope that makes sense.

Best wishes for success!
  • Jknip9484
    Options
    Yes that does make sense. I’m manually entering my exercise into MFP. On strength days I’m entering the specific movements with weight used, reps and sets. It’s then calculating the calories burned. On cardio days I manually enter the activity and entering the calories burned myself based on an app I use called Map My Run. ( I mostly run) out from the cycling machine (I use Livestrong stationary bike) or the rowing machine.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,933 Member
    Options
    If your getting adequate overall nutrition with 1450 calories and the fact that counting accuracy is generally notoriously low, then you'll just be using more body fat for your energy, nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. I do advocate for a maintenance break every 12 weeks for a couple of week, then back at it. jmo
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Try adding the calories and in a month review your progress or lack of it. If you aren't progressing at your target rate then you're overstimating exercise calories and\or underestimating calorie intake so you'll need to make some adjustments
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Set your target calories to maintain instead of lose, every exercise session will put you into deficit for weight loss... if your can't be bothered with tracking exercise sessions of course.
  • Jknip9484
    Options
    Update: it’s been 32 days and I kept to consuming 1450 calories daily and not eating the extra calories allowed for exercise. I’ve lost 2.2lbs and 1inch in measurements in each section(upper waist, lower waist, hips, bum, each thigh).
    So far soo good.