food list

Options
How can I log my food intake and see the consumed calorie,protein, fat, sugar, etc.?

Answers

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    If you told us what version you're using (web browser, Android app, iOS app), you might get more detailed, specific answers, but in general, go to your food diary, click to add food to a specific meal, and type the name of the food you want to add (include a brand name if commercially prepared; include "raw" or "cooked" if it's an unbranded/generic/"whole" food, like produce, eggs, meat, etc.)

If you're using the app, eventually it will start offering options as you type from previously logged foods. The browser version will generate lists of recent and frequently logged foods, as well as food entries you've created or edited and meals and recipes you've created.

When you first logging, however, you:re going to have to click search after you type the name of the food to search the entire MFP food database.

When you find what you want (and it's good to compare entries to package labels or a non-user generated database for accuracy) select the entry and edit the "servings" field to reflect how much you're eating. For example, if it says a serving is 100 grams and you had 125 grams, enter 1.25 in the servings field.

Don't think of the entry's default serving as a prescription for how much you should eat. For the process to work, the database needs a specific amount of the food to associate with all the nutrient amounts.

As for seeing the nutrients of the foods you have logged, it's visible in your diary in the web browser version. If you're using an app, you'll need to go the nutrients section. In the Android app, there's a little circular icon at the top right of the diary page that I click on (I think there's a direct route from the home page or main menu, but that's how I get there). I assume there's something similar in the iOS app.

Best of luck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Also, I think if you turn your phone so it rotates to landscape display, you can see the nutrients in your diary without going to the nutrients page, but you get so few rows in one screen that I have never found it useful, but your experience might differ.