Portion sizing

Options
jholtsrq
jholtsrq Posts: 7 Member
How to I convert all to grams? Currently, see pic, one ingredient is measured in cups, one in grams and one in ounces. Would like to convert all to grams so I can cook a batch and portion out evenly when weighing out a meal. Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jrjuUiFg6uBetaVm7

Best Answer

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,197 MFP Staff
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Currently, the choices in the "Serving Size" area are limited to the options entered when the food item was created. If the MyFitnessPal team created the entry, the Serving Size field might contain multiple options, If another user entered the item there is typically only one choice.

However, by manipulating the "number of servings" value, you can log different serving sizes. So, if the serving size is 1 cup, and you use 3/4 of a cup, enter .75 as the number of servings. Some versions of our app may present the option to enter fractions, as well as decimals.

The serving size options will also include a single-unit option: for example, an item created with a 10 ounce serving size will also offer a 1-ounce serving size. It may be helpful to choose this single-unit option, and then use the number of servings as a multiplier.

If you are looking for a different serving size (for instance, ounces instead of grams), examine some of the other items in the search results. One or more may include your preferred unit of measurement. We are looking into adding a feature to convert serving size choices in future updates.

If you find you are constantly adjusting the number of servings on a particular item, you may prefer to save your adjusted item as a meal for easier reference.

We also offer the option of creating a new food item with the portion size you would like.

Answers

• jholtsrq
    Options
    Thank you.
  • jholtsrq
    edited April 16
    Options
    Quick update:

I realized I was using the wrong feature. I was inputing ingredients in "My Meals" which works fine for just that, a single portioned meal. Since I was cooking in larger batches to be portioned out over many meals then I should have input ingredients under "My Recipes". This allows you to set the servings size when created. In this case, I cooked a full batch weighed it in ounces, and then set that as the serving size. ie: total batch weighed 48oz; set serving size as 1oz; portion out in weighed oz's. In this case, Chilli. Now when I log my portion I just select the recipe and the amount I weighed out. Math no longer required. I usually have 6-8oz's of chilli when I eat it.

Much easier.