Only consuming 850 calories

Options
I got this app to specifically track my calories intake. I'm 6ft, roughly 260lbs, obese. I was a heavy soda/energy drinks kinda person, along with candy and other junk. I've completely removed these items from my diet and it's leaving me roughly around 850 or so calories a day. My concern is that per this app and some others I need to be consuming 2000+ calories a day for safe weight loss . How do I manage to reach this goal when I don't feel hungry with my current calorie intake at all? And when I do, I generally just snack on some fruits and almonds. I've been going to the gym in the mornings and lifting weights, so my diet is highly protein based. Which is another question, I'm supposed to be consuming like 180g of protein...another mind blowing number.

Answers

• ThraxRyder
    ThraxRyder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any information and guidance on this would be incredible! Thank you!
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 6
    Options
    My guess is you're trying to eliminate too many "bad" or demonized foods, thus leaving only "diet" foods.

Breakfast for me is easily 300 calories, and this is a small number for most people.
    2 eggs
    2 slices whole wheat toast and
    2 teaspoons of butter.........348 calories

Lunch
    Sugar Snap - Peas, 1 cup
    Homemade - Dill Dip, 2 Tbsp
    Armour - Ham & American Lunch Maker, 1 package
    Cosmic Crisp Apple.......386 calories

Already at 734 calories before dinner or a snack. Don't try to eliminate fat unless you need to for medical reasons. Don't try to eliminate carbs unless you need to reduce them for medical reasons.

For your meal plan, start with protein. I no longer eat cold cereal (low protein). I could eat a large bag of microwave popcorn for lunch, but again low protein. Start with the protein.

Almonds are incredibly calorie dense. Are you weighing those?
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited April 6
    Options
    ThraxRyder wrote: »
    I got this app to specifically track my calories intake. I'm 6ft, roughly 260lbs, obese. I was a heavy soda/energy drinks kinda person, along with candy and other junk. I've completely removed these items from my diet and it's leaving me roughly around 850 or so calories a day. My concern is that per this app and some others I need to be consuming 2000+ calories a day for safe weight loss . How do I manage to reach this goal when I don't feel hungry with my current calorie intake at all? And when I do, I generally just snack on some fruits and almonds. I've been going to the gym in the mornings and lifting weights, so my diet is highly protein based. Which is another question, I'm supposed to be consuming like 180g of protein...another mind blowing number.

Try eating high calorie foods. Nut butters, fatty meats, full fat dairy. Cook with oil. The calories will add up fast. Very fast.
  • KitKatVA
    KitKatVA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would start by increasing your proteins. The dietician at the hospital where I worked said if the calories are too low your body goes into starvation mode and stores so you don’t lose weight. She said adding 200-300 more calories and you may find you lose more (for you 400+ more).
    I started at 1700 and worked down to 1450… never just 1200. Worked for me. I lost 59 lbs and held it for about a year but have added 20 so working on losing that so I feel healthier. You can do this!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up.

There is often a learning curve for logging properly on MFP. We might be able to spot errors if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you are actually eating 850. Get a food scale (there are some really great ones on amazon for $10-$20). Weigh and log everything you eat using accurate entries. Definitely don't eat only 850 calories, especially if you are working out on top of that. But also make sure that number is correct before you stress out.