Post Menopausal weight gain

Options
carlandami
carlandami Posts: 3 Member
edited April 14 in Motivation and Support
Hi to all out there who are struggling with menopause and post menopause weight gain!! I’ll introduce myself as CW and let y’all know that I am really frustrated with myself. I started MyFitnessPal again at the end of January and have only lost 1.7 pounds!! I’m logging my food (have been slacking though since Easter). Oops!! Started again today. I have an emotionally & physically draining job along with caring for someone with a disability. I know my bad habits
Emotional eating, & wanting to relax with an adult beverage!! I feel stuck because the weight especially around my belly isn’t going away!! I love to be outdoors riding my bicycle and going on long walks. Since I’ve gained so much weight I’ve toyed with the notion of forking out the $$$$$$ to join Slim4Life! I want to get under 200 pounds and my goal weight is 160. I would love any feedback on those who are successful with weight loss and any tips, suggestions, whatever that you can share. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!!!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

It sounds like you know your problem areas with eating . . . now the challenge is to work on turning those around. That's a start!

Consistently eating around calorie goal (averaged over a few days to a week) is key, IME. The MFP calorie goal is a good starting point, but it's just a statistical average for people who are superficially similar to us. After a few weeks of reasonable consistency (in eating and activity), we can use our personal logging data to adjust that goal if necessary, to get a more personalized goal. (I had to adjust my goal like that when I was first starting out.)

This can work even with menopause in the picture: I lost from class 1 obese to a healthy weight back in 2015-16 at age 59-60, while menopausal, plus severely hypothyroid (but properly medicated). I'm now 68, still at a healthy weight.

I'm a big believer in keeping things simple, and making the easiest-to-stick-with changes possible to hit calorie goal and get reasonable overall nutrition while eating foods I enjoy. That's what I always suggest to others.

Wishing you success: The effort is worth it!
  • mevgeuss
    mevgeuss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I too had a hard time dropping my menopausal weight gain (20 pounds). I have always exercised, but still couldn’t budge the scale. What helped me dramatically was removing alcohol and upping protein intake. And I mean way upping protein to 100 grams a day. It’s not easy but doable with eating the right proteins. It is necessary as we get old to keep our muscles strong, otherwise we loose them. I’m not here to judge re:alcohol use. Believe me, I was a white wine girl since my 20’s, but removing it has made the most positive impact on my health (physically and mentally). Wishing you success on your journey! You got this!!!! 😊