Cholesterol

Options
I need to lower my bad cholesterol, any suggestions. My good cholesterol is good. Everyone has said oatmeal for breakfast but what else can I do. I work out at least 6 days a week now so exercise isn't it.

Replies

• WKelly12
    WKelly12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have high cholesterol too. Cut out as much sugar as you can. Eat wheat bread. Try cheerios for breakfast. Fruits and veggies. Chicken instead of beef all the time. Look @ labels... Good Luck!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Look at the nutrituion lables and see how much cholestrol is in items you eat. MFP does track cholestrol already for us so watch how much you eat every day and make adjustments from there.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had terrible cholesterol as a 30 year old female who ran long-distance cross country, ate healthy food and was not overweight. 60 year old obese guys had better cholesterol than me. My doctor told me some people just win the genetic lottery for crappy cholesterol. It took dropping my weight down from the upper end of the healthy weight range to the lower end of the healthy weight range before I saw a difference. My body type just wants to be leaner than average to be in top condition. That, combined with fish oil supplements seems to have gotten me down to borderline normal levels. I'm pretty happy with that. Good luck!
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My mom has high cholesterol. The nutritionist she saw told her to grind up oatmeal in the food processor. Then use it for breading on chicken and baked items. She also said to use it to replace half the flour in recipes that call for flour. Also limit fried foods. When you do have to fry, use a good oil like canola.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My LDL went from 122 to 99 and my total cholesterol from 190 to 164 when I eliminated animal products from my diet.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I am definitely going to watch the red meats and try the ground oatmeal suggestion.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it, don't take health advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet.
  • uagoodmomma
    uagoodmomma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was 281 in February! Yikes! I started taking omega 3 fish oil and krill oil and eating oatmeal and my cholesyerol has come down to 268... without having to take cholesterol lowering medicine! Try those if u can, but get retested frequently to see if if what you are trying to lower your # is lowering! 240 or under is the best level for your health!
  • spice1210
    Options
    ]I just joined MFP after a haitus. I am on a mission to lower my cholesterol. I would like support and new friends :happy: Today I bought oatmeal, Cheerios, soymilk, spinach, cranberry juice, Smart Balance spread and have increased my fish oil capsules two 4,000 mg a day! This better do the trick... My mom has very high cholesterol...she is 89 and had a stroke at 83..