Snacking

Options
How many snacks can you have in a day and safely lose weight?
I was told to eat like every 3 hours but that would mean besides breakfast, lunch and dinner, I could get 4 snacks in during the day, depending on what time I eat breakfast.
Does this sound right?

Answers

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Not sure who "told" you to eat every three hours, but I'd first ask if you input your info and stats here to get a calorie goal for the day. Did you? Once you do that and you start weighing and logging your food, you can see how many meals and snacks YOU can have each day.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else does because we each need to find out what works for us personally. So, a little more information from you would be helpful.
  • Lil_Saponi
    Lil_Saponi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutritionist who told me I should eat every 3 hours and should have more protein, veggies and fruits. She didn't eliminate carbs just said not to make them the main part of my meal.

I'll have to check my info and stats.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Focusing on protein, vegetables, and fruit is a good thing, but eating every three hours is up to each individual. Try it and see if it works for you. Sometimes people say eating that often makes them hungrier. Some people say it gives them more energy. See what works for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,953 Member
    Options
    Agree with BZAH10.

I tried the, "Eat snacks between meals," thing and what I found was that it just annoyed me. I never felt full and it felt like I was spending too much mental energy on planning my next feed. For weight loss I was set at 1500-1600 calories and there's no way to eat enough in 5-6 feedings to feel happy.

Three larger meals is my happy place. I can easily fill up on 400-500 calories, not worry about food all day long, and make it to my next meal fairly easily. On days I exercise I will have a small snack of roasted chickpeas or a hard boiled egg or something, but three meals is the answer for me.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Most nutritionists aren't really all that knowledgeable sometimes. You don't need to eat every 3 hours. They usually say that to "keep your metabolism revved up" which is an inaccurate statement. Hit you daily\weekly calorie amounts with enough protein and good fats and whatever carbs you want if you actually eat carbs. Nutritionists can sometimes make thing more complicated to justify their fees.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 10
    Options
    In most places in the US,one can call themselves a nutritionist with no training whatsoever, you want a Registered Dietitian which requires a Master's Degree and passing an exam. Timing of food intake is a pretty small part of nutrition (unless there is some health issue involved, diabetes as an example). As suggested, lean protein, healthy fats, vegetables, fruits, limit or eliminate added sugars are bigger factors.

ewzvsovljuoh.png
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,217 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    In most places in the US,one can call themselves a nutritionist with no training whatsoever.

Like me!

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Figure out your own preferred timing for eating your calories. Time of day doesn't matter in terms of weight loss. If you prefer bigger meals less frequently, do that. If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't. If you save most of your calories for dinner, go for it. If you want to eat every couple hours, do it. I'm not a fan of rules! We all like different things. Just eat your calories when and how you want!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    What they said above.

People here report doing well (in weight loss terms) on anything from one meal a day (OMAD) to many small meals/snacks spread through the day. Myself, I sometimes eat 2 meals, usually 3, occasionally 4, and anything from zero to (near-) infinity snacks. I lost weight doing that (obese to healthy range), and have done likewise for almost 8 years at a healthy weight since.

Sometimes people act as if managing body weight and nutrition was like a magic spell: Every syllable has to be exact and perfect, or bad things will happen. It's not so. "Pretty good on average" works fine; "perfect every minute" isn't important.

If I were you you, I'd find a new registered dietitian (RD). If you're in the US, that RD thing can be important: They're the ones with extensive education and credentials. In many states, any idiot can call themselves a nutritionist. No matter what country you're in, look for the degrees, licenses, official certifications from an authoritative certifier.

In certain health conditions, such as those where blood sugar regulation is a problem, timing of meals/snacks may matter. Even then, the very best timing can be somewhat individual.

Protein, veggies and fruits are great: Tasty, filling. The occasional treat - one that's compatible with health conditions or drug interactions - won't be a deal breaker.

Best wishes!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 11
    Options
    Think recommendation for 3 meals, afternoon and mid-evening snacks, even bedtime snack has been pretty typical approach/recommendation for decades. And to not skip breakfast (reportedly on basis of studies that supported eating breakfast for cognitive brain performance such as work or school). Some plans even include a mid-morning snack.

More recently, other things are emerging such as IF (intermittent fasting) or OMAD (one meal a day) which completely contradict previous recommendations.

Where does that leave us? Explore, figure out what works personally. For me, I tend to prefer to split my calories about equally between 4 meals a day, at this time... Very different from other things I tried before.

Ok to explore, adjust, evolve... so question really is, what do you think you would like? Working with a dietician is a great place to start - they can make suggestions, and help with adjustments :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Think recommendation for 3 meals, afternoon and mid-evening snacks, even bedtime snack has been pretty typical approach/recommendation for decades. And to not skip breakfast (reportedly on basis of studies that supported eating breakfast for cognitive brain performance such as work or school). Some plans even include a mid-morning snack.

More recently, other things are emerging such as IF (intermittent fasting) or OMAD (one meal a day) which completely contradict previous recommendations.

Where does that leave us? Explore, figure out what works personally. For me, I tend to prefer to split my calories about equally between 4 meals a day, at this time... Very different from other things I tried before.

Ok to explore, adjust, evolve... so question really is, what do you think you would like? Working with a dietician is a great place to start - they can make suggestions, and help with adjustments :)

They can't sell books or get clicks if the "advice" doesn't change.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I tend to not snack at all unless it's instead of a meal, but my cousin lost a lot of weight eating six times per day. It wouldn't work for me!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,918 Member
    edited April 11
    Options
    I lost weight the first time eating 5 times a day-- basically 2 meals and 3 snacks, figured out with my dietician. But that was based on MY LIFE, and not some general formula. We looked at how I was eating before I tried to lose weight and built on that. I ate a small snack when I woke up, lunch at 11am, a meal about 4, a light snack at 7, and a heavier snack about 10. I slept 12-1 to 8-9.
    Before i started the 7 pm snack, I would sometimes eat a lot at 10 and keep eating until I went to bed. The 7 pm snack helped me be satisfied with less at 10pm. I ate better and slept better.
    I suggest you sit down and figure out when you will eat meals, based on what's set by job, family, etc. Then figure out when you might overeat because of hunger--too long between meals, etc. and fill in with planned snacks that include protein.
    Good luck figuring out what works for you!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency = convenience and what schedule tends to make you take in fewer calories if fatloss is the goal
  • Lil_Saponi
    Lil_Saponi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for your guidance, expertise and support.

As for a little background information and I hope you all don't mind that I share this about myself and my reason for weight loss/management.

About two years ago, I was diagnosed with Parkinsons. Recently, I was told I was pre-diabetic. I take medication for both. I've had double knee replacement, re-knee replacement and need double hip replacement. I knew with all these medical problems, trying to get my weight in check was a priority. I've put myself so far on the back burner that I think the burner has rusted or fell to the ground somewhere.

So, I inquired with my GP, and she suggested a weight loss/management program that Summit Medical has. In the program, I meet with a doctor, nutritionist, and health coach once a month. In speaking with both the doctor and nutritionist, I let them know I'd been to a nutritionist before many years ago and basically, they gave me a plate that had a pie chart to tell me how much of my plate should be protein, veggie, starch/carbs. Needless to say, I never went back.

I agree that eating every 3 hours is difficult as each day might be different. Some days I eat at 10 but some mornings I want to eat earlier. One of my new medications says to take with breakfast. On the weekends, I don't often stop and eat breakfast. Some weekends, I'm lucky that I get dinner.

I think the hardest part is eating high protein, low carb but I'm trying. This is only my first week on the plan. Tomorrow and Sunday will be the biggest challenge. But I have your guidance to help me get through this week. I'm sure I'll reach out more as next month, my work/life balance will be slightly skewed. I work in higher ed, May 1 final exams begin which means early mornings, late nights, lots of stress. Often there are bad food choices present or easily accessed. Hoping to stay on track.

Thanks again.

• Kelseyrlopez
    Kelseyrlopez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above 👍
    My registered dietitian suggested eating in smaller intervals (3-4 hrs) to address 2 things: 1) I mentioned I gained weight as I often had one very large meal at end of day and was overeating because I was starving by the time i had it; 2) I was pre-diabetic and was trying to get my blood sugar lowered and under control.

By suggesting multiple small snacks, they reduced the likelihood of my overeating and ensured I minimized blood sugar spikes.
    That was my situation though, I overate because of not eating more regularly.

I also did lower carb initially but that eased off a bit once my blood tests normalized.
    Best of luck, regardless of how many 'snacks' you eat, the fact you are trying to address can only work in your favour.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,440 Member
    edited April 15
    Options
    I’ve always been a grazer. If I don’t know something’s on the horizon, I’ll start eating anything in sight.

I pre-plan and pre-log snacks to make sure I have a slow drip of food.

I eat a filling breakfast, a comparatively small lunch, and then plan 2-4 snacks in the afternoon, and a couple after dinner.

Afternoon snacks are typically a protein bar, cottage cheese with frozen blueberries and a dash of blueberry balsamic, maybe some jerky.

If lunch was unusually low cal (a deli wrap for example) and I don’t have chips, I’ll instead have some hot air popcorn a little while later.

Evening desserts are a low cal ice cream, and low cal meringues, which satisfy my sweet tooth.

If I’m using up calories too fast, I may have a fruit tea or a low cal iced coffee.

You know, as long as you stay within calorie guidelines, it doesn’t matter how many snacks you do or don’t have. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    As many as you can fit in your calories

This not only changes between people; but, it even changes for one particular individual over time.

Assuming you're trying to find your way forward you to have to experiment and see which method makes your life easier.

And you will even fail to stay within your calories at times.

And that's ok.

Learning yourself and being willing to adjust IS part of the game.

Feeling strung up and hanging on by your fingernails probably means a rethink and change of direction towards sustainability is needed.

For now, if just starting out, just try to stay within your Calories for the day, or as close as you can.

Review what you did and see what was more helpful and what less in reaching your goals.

If too many snacks, less calories for bigger meals and vice versa!

And then there's the WHAT you snack on.

The same calories of sardines or tuna, vs candy, vs apples, vs crisps/chips, vs bag of carrots, vs sugary drinks, vs booze, vs.... will all have different effects on your day at different times