Sugar and nausea

Options
Hi all, I’ve been “no added sugar” free for a month then I accidentally had some pudding last night that had sugar (thought I picked up the zero sugar one as a rare extra and the lesser of many “bad” things I actually wanted) . Anyway, it tasted very sweet to me and I was annoyed once I figured it out. About an hour later, I started to feel sick, slightly nauseous. Makes me not want sugar again. Anyone experience something similar? Is it taste buds and system changing? Thx!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    If I didn't want to eat sugar I would count it as a win and be happy

I do eat sugar both when it fits and sometimes when it doesn't fit my calories but yes, I've literally spat out a double double coffee a few years after switching to black when I was accidentally handed one! And it wasn't intentional and really did happen in the middle of a Tim Hortons.

If you wanted to test your theory you would repeat the experiment to find out.

Not sure that it's worth your time to do so
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    I don't strive for "no added sugar", but I don't eat very much of it (usually well less than the 10% of calories that outfits like WHO, NIH/USDA, etc. suggest is the desirable upper limit).

Once in a rare while, I do eat some ridiculous sugary thing, such as a big, loaded-up milkshake. It has never made me nauseated.

I supposed that eating any particular thing we're not used to eating may cause some digestive distress. (I do get some digestive distress if I eat something that has - say - meat broth; and have figured out after the fact that I ate some unknowingly just because I wondered why the digestive distress, and asked questions. I haven't intentionally eaten meat/fish since 1974, so my body - or maybe more likely my gut microbiome - doesn't really know how to handle it. 🤷 It's NBD. Obviously, meat isn't poison, and my digestive distress doesn't imply that it is.)

• MaeesaAHHH
    MaeesaAHHH Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Actually if eating sugar is giving you nausea and in some cases even upsetting your stomach, it might be time to visit the doc. Being prediabetic or having insulin resistance or a tendency thereof, can both lead to getting nausea, headaches and stomach upset from suddenly consuming sugar. So please get checked by the doc to rule out any of those things
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    edited April 16
    Options
    Yeah, sugar was my problem a very big one and removed most of it from my diet, I do have some fruit occasionally and do get some natural sugars in dairy for example and I'm low carb/ketogenic and became that was because of sugar and my health. Mostly desserts are what's very very off putting most of the time, not so much bread and pasta they don't seem to have that same effect and do eat those sometimes and mostly before I play hockey. Mind you I've never actually felt nauseous, just the thought of actually tasting something very sweet, like a dessert is totally off putting for me, but now I don't even think about them and have no urge whatsoever to consume them. Let me clarify that, since removing diet pepsi a few years ago i have no urge to consume sugar, that was an eye opener for me.