I don’t know what I’m doing “wrong”

Options
Im brand new to this app, I’m currently only(and have only) been eating dinner, I’m not very active due to focus directed on more pressing matters such as academics and managing other factors in life. For the past year my weight has stayed in the 180 range and I only eat dinner, so do I still need to eat less or is there a piece I’m missing?

Replies

• MaeesaAHHH
    MaeesaAHHH Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating more exercise in your routine? It can help you lose weight without cutting calories
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I love a good mystery. lol

If you need some advice, please share your current weight, height and goal weight.

For all we know you could be 8 feet tall and built like Arnold. :)
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    One meal or 6 meals, calories still apply. If you are eating at maintenance calories your weight will stay the same.

What is your daily calorie goal and are you at or under that?
  • AmazoonMonsterr
    AmazoonMonsterr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To those asking, my current caloric intake is ~1000-1500 a day, I’m 5’10”.
  • AmazoonMonsterr
    Options

And 17 M
  • AmazoonMonsterr
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I love a good mystery. lol

If you need some advice, please share your current weight, height and goal weight.

For all we know you could be 8 feet tall and built like Arnold. :)
    Goal weight is around 145 lbs
  • NotGvnUp_EJ
    NotGvnUp_EJ Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 around 180,goal weight 150-155 and I eat on average 3 meals a day...calories are at 1300 right now but I average around 1500. Anyways as long as I exercise I will lose. Exercise, even if it's just walking, I think will make a difference for you.

Hope you find what works for you.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options

And 17 M

Even being sedentary, 1000-1500 calories a day for a 17 year old male who is 5'10" is far too low. I am 57 and 5'10" and even when I was spending my time sitting, eating at that level I would be losing at a fast rate. Far too fast. I would also be developing nutritional deficiencies. At 17, with a body that is still developing, that calorie level should have the weight coming off along with the same issues of developing nutritional deficiencies.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the calorie numbers for what you eat are incorrect either because the food is calorie dense and your method of measuring is inaccurate enough that you end up eating far more than you think you are, or because the database entries you are using here are inaccurate. It is important to realize the database is largely crowd sourced. That means there are entries that are incorrect, even ones that are shown as verified. When starting out it is important to verify nutritional information and to not simply go with the first result from your search or the lowest calorie options.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    edited April 11
    Options
    So, I'm guessing that as a 17 YO you're not cooking gourmet meals for yourself and logging ingredients. Just a guess, having been 17.

Are you eating any vegetables or fruit at all? I find I can't lose weight when I'm missing a whole bunch of general nutrition, and that only comes from eating quite a lot of plants like whole vegetables, whole fruit (not juice,) beans, and also nuts, dairy and a variety of protein. I'm guessing that you are malnourished right now.

Pizza and wings, cheeseburgers and fries - those are "sometimes" food. You would be well served to try to balance out your nutrition if you aren't doing that already.

145 for a 5'10" male seems pretty low weight, as well. Up to you, of course. The closer you are to a healthy weight already, the more difficult it is to lose weight and the more important it is to eat well.

That all said, I was underweight as a 18-20 year old. I wouldn't recommend living on alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and sugar - and little else - but that's how I did it. I was super active, rode my bike everywhere, didn't have any money and voila, underweight. Do not recommend...it took a long time to start feeling better, to gain weight and get well cognitively and physically. Nutrition is so important to overall good cognitive functioning and if you're in school you need it.
  • AmazoonMonsterr
    Options
    So, I'm guessing that as a 17 YO you're not cooking gourmet meals for yourself and logging ingredients. Just a guess, having been 17.

Are you eating any vegetables or fruit at all? I find I can't lose weight when I'm missing a whole bunch of general nutrition, and that only comes from eating quite a lot of plants like whole vegetables, whole fruit (not juice,) beans, and also nuts, dairy and a variety of protein. I'm guessing that you are malnourished right now.

Pizza and wings, cheeseburgers and fries - those are "sometimes" food. You would be well served to try to balance out your nutrition if you aren't doing that already.

145 for a 5'10" male seems pretty low weight, as well. Up to you, of course. The closer you are to a healthy weight already, the more difficult it is to lose weight and the more important it is to eat well.

That all said, I was underweight as a 18-20 year old. I wouldn't recommend living on alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and sugar - and little else - but that's how I did it. I was super active, rode my bike everywhere, didn't have any money and voila, underweight. Do not recommend...it took a long time to start feeling better, to gain weight and get well cognitively and physically. Nutrition is so important to overall good cognitive functioning and if you're in school you need it.

While I am in school, I rarely eat the “sometimes” foods, and do my best to avoid them. 145 is a specific goal I have in mind for myself, and while it may seem weird, I have no desire for muscle yet being nearly underweight is sort of my main goal. The temptation isn’t my issue, but the issue is likely liquid intake of tea, so my next step is to cut out tea from my life for the time being and drink lots of water, on the subject of vegetables, I rarely choose what I eat, but it does come with vegetables often.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    You’re taking in more weekly calories than you think. With your stats and the calories you’re reporting fat would be melting off.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

While I am in school, I rarely eat the “sometimes” foods, and do my best to avoid them. 145 is a specific goal I have in mind for myself, and while it may seem weird, I have no desire for muscle yet being nearly underweight is sort of my main goal. The temptation isn’t my issue, but the issue is likely liquid intake of tea, so my next step is to cut out tea from my life for the time being and drink lots of water, on the subject of vegetables, I rarely choose what I eat, but it does come with vegetables often.

I do drink 1 cup of sweetened tea with 1% milk (chai) in the morning. I log those calories.

The rest of the day I drink unsweetened iced tea all day long. This gets logged as water. You don't have to give up tea, just make sure you log the calories that go with it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Eat a variety of foods including vegetables and fresh fruit. While eating some "sometimes" foods, try not to overdo sweets and sweetened drinks.

If you're not using sugar and milk (or cream in the unlikely event you do that) in your tea you would have no reason to avoid drinking tea.

It may be worthwhile to explore eating more than once a day... at least for a few days. There is a chance you're eating more during your one meal a day than you would eat otherwise or that you are slowing down the rest of the day because you haven't eaten.

Engage in sports or other athletic endeavors or otherwise move at a moderate to vigorous intensity for at least an hour a day. You are 17. You don't want to be passed walking up the hill by a 58 year old carrying groceries, would you?
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You’re taking in more weekly calories than you think. With your stats and the calories you’re reporting fat would be melting off.

+1