High-protein, non-dairy, easy-to-transport foods?

Options
JennKirklandmfp
JennKirklandmfp Posts: 8 Member
edited April 11 in Food and Nutrition
I am very new at MFP but not at all new to the rest of this (55, female, widowed, two teen/20s kids, bad knees, done WW and others a ton of times). I can't work at the moment because of my knees (I drive a support services van for my school district), so there's some financial stress I'm trying not to let make me comfort-eat.

I'm (mildly) allergic to whey and lactose intolerant. I can usually manage one serving of dairy a day (generally yogurt) but during the spring there are other allergies in play, so I'm avoiding dairy altogether, except butter. I also am on crutches with several knee issues. I need more proteins (besides hard-boiled eggs) that I can carry around in my pockets that don't have too much fat or sugar or salt.

~~~~~~~

Tell me about MUSH Overnight Oats - favorite flavors? I've tried the PB&J so far and it was... acceptable. Not my fave.

RxBar favorite flavors?

Any other foods that meet these criteria?

Best Answer

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Dry-roasted soybeans, crispy chickpeas (or lentils, or broad beans, etc.), hard boiled eggs, jerky.

I like Enlightened brand Bada Bean Bada Boom crispy broad beans in single-serve packs: Crunchy, 110-110 calories, 7g protein. That's only moderate protein, but they're nicely snack-y and worth it to me.

If you don't have one, consider investing in a small-lunchbox-sized insulated bag that will accept one of those reusable ice packs. That makes many things transportable that wouldn't be otherwise. You could take things like sliced meat, egg muffins (do a web search for lots of high protein recipes for those), etc. Another option is a small insulated bowl with a screw-on lid - essentially a wide-mouth thermos.

Answers

• JennKirklandmfp
    Options
    Ooo - I actually have dry-roasted soybeans around here somewhere. Looks like Amazon Fresh and I need to have a little chat :)

Thank you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    2 desserts with some protein, really? Try some animal protein on their own if your looking for quality protein, and it actually might reduces your inflammation, your knees will thank you, imo. :)
  • JennKirklandmfp
    Options
    @neanderthin, sure, and I am eating eggs and meats and stuff (craving red meat, presumably for protein and iron). But things that are easy to transport in my pockets are the key in this post. at least while I'm still on crutches. The kids are only here to fetch and carry for me when they're not in school or at work.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    @neanderthin, sure, and I am eating eggs and meats and stuff (craving red meat, presumably for protein and iron). But things that are easy to transport in my pockets are the key in this post. at least while I'm still on crutches. The kids are only here to fetch and carry for me when they're not in school or at work.

Ok, no problem. there's portable fish pouches like tuna for example, I like them, of course jerky or the African eqivalent biltong and there's dedicated carnivore bars that are full of protein. For plant protein there's a few different takes on jerky like mushroom and soy. A small cooling container that can be carried like a back pack is good for meat roll ups, cheese, most harder cheeses and goat cheese doesn't either have much if any lactose and goat seems to be tolerated better for most people.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Rx Bars are a great way to get easy, transportable protein. I am lactose intolerant too and struggle with getting extra protein into my diet. I have done RX bars, Kind Bars, beef jerky, and collagen protein. The collagen protein isn't highly transportable but it can be measured out and put in a Ziploc baggie, then later added to a hot drink. I usually have collagen protein in herbal tea with a small snack when I get home from work. I warn you, it's not tasty at all. It needs something with a more prominent flavor to cover it up.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Ok, no problem. there's portable fish pouches like tuna for example, I like them, of course jerky or the African eqivalent biltong and there's dedicated carnivore bars that are full of protein. For plant protein there's a few different takes on jerky like mushroom and soy. A small cooling container that can be carried like a back pack is good for meat roll ups, cheese, most harder cheeses and goat cheese doesn't either have much if any lactose and goat seems to be tolerated better for most people.

I will second the tuna/chicken pouches. I personally enjoy the jalapeno and buffalo ones.

As far as snack-type items, I really like Built Puffs. They are easy to eat, have a decent amount of protein and feel like a treat. Rather than ordering a whole case online, I think GNC sells individual bars. Try one first before investing in a box of them.
  • yvonnemfp
    yvonnemfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You could get a light weight backpack to hold an insulated lunch box
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna salad there a ton of options available for premixed single serving tuna salads.

Some have crackers, some don’t.
    Check amazon. Bumblebee and Chicken of the Sea both have different varieties.