BJ’s Brewhouse Nutrition info ?

Options
DanniB423
DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
Hey all. Do you read this as 880 for everything listed here? Tacos, chips and beans? There is nothing else listed to specify. TIA. csu4rppl9adi.jpeg

Answers

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My calorie eye is drawn to the dressings first. They are calorie bombs.

The mayo, Santa Fe dressing and avocado cream sauce add a lot of calories. Mayo is 90 cals per tablespoon. Each of those lil condiment cups is about 2 oz which is 4 tablespoons.

Store bought tortilla chips have about 240 cals per 12 chips. (Tostitos)
    2oz of avocado is 91 calories.

Chips -240 per 12
    Avocado cream - 91? How much avocado? How much cream? Don’t know.
    Mayo - 90 per tablespoon
    Santa Fe dressing - 2oz (4 tablespoons) 360 cals

That’s 781 for a minimum dressings and chips then add in salsa, beans and veg. Depending on the actual measurements of oils.. I just quickly guesstimated.

Wonder if the protein of choice is calorie extra?

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,230 Member
    Options
    Easily could be.

Even ignoring all the veggies:
    • Juanita's tortilla chips are 150 calories per ounce.
    • White flour tortillas are maybe 90 each? Hard to know; some are more and some less.
    • A tablespoon of dressing cold be 60-120 calories.
    • There's probably mayo in the avocado sauce and more on the menu.
    • The side of black beans could easily be 100-200 calories depending how much is in that bowl.

That's already 400-650 calories before you add the fish or the mayo/avocado sauce. Maybe more depending on the tortillas and/or how heavy handed they are with the chips (looks like more than an ounce to me). A single Trader Joe's black bean burrito is 600 calories.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read it as 880 for everything, unless you ordered anything special. But remember, they don't weigh things, and they definitely don't want you to go away hungry! So----
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    Thanks guys! I’m going to ask for no chipotle mayo and just use the salsa. I don’t eat beans so those are off too. I will eat a few chips but not all. An oz is normally about 11 chips so I’ll keep that in mind. So I’m just going to go with that and move on with my life! Appreciate the input. The more I thought about it I regretted making the post. I need to learn to just do my best, make sensible swaps but enjoy myself. I was stressing. :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,230 Member
    Options
    Eat the beans!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I’m going to ask for no chipotle mayo and just use the salsa. I don’t eat beans so those are off too. I will eat a few chips but not all. An oz is normally about 11 chips so I’ll keep that in mind. So I’m just going to go with that and move on with my life! Appreciate the input. The more I thought about it I regretted making the post. I need to learn to just do my best, make sensible swaps but enjoy myself. I was stressing. :)

No need to regret the post. We learn, too. From each other.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd assume that calorie count is for that entire dish - but the calorie count will be based on the restaurants recipe in which all of those ingredients/portions were weighed or measured in some way.

Just to note that often in the kitchen of a restaurant (including fast food, etc.) many times employees are NOT using measuring apparatus' unless like...they have a crazy manager. I worked at DQ and yes there are measuring spoons, cups, etc....for all of the ingredients --- after a while you just eyeball it so just be aware that the calorie estimate is based on a recipe - but that is not necessarily exactly what you are getting when you order it so honestly I'd log that and then maybe 50 extra quick add calories just in case.

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Yousers! Thats half my allowable daily intake... lol
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Many Mexican restaurants offer a chicken super burrito, which is under 600 calories. I then ask them to leave off the sour cream, which reduces it a bit more.

Enchilada sauce is surprisingly low calorie, so you’re looking at a large flour tortilla, shredded chicken, lettuce, tomato, onion and a bit of cheese, along with the enchilada sauce. I’ve calculated it by item and it’s pretty accurate.

In lieu of chips and salsa, I often ask for a bowl of bell pepper strips and salsa. It’s satisfying and a fraction the calories of chips.

Although….if the calories are available in my diary, I’m always gonna go for chips. 😇

Most chip brands are 140-150 an ounce.