"I Feel Good" it's a start

Options
ByeByeToDiabetes
ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 45 Member
edited April 13 in Success Stories
I am only at the beginning, I have made a baby step in the right direction.

Day 14 on MFP. I am obese and just got diagnosed with diabetes on March 28th. I weigh 341.6 pounds. But I have lost 7 pounds.

I have been eating 'right' and healthy for 15 days. I have been monitoring my glucose (for the very first time in my life) and today in the morning it was under 100 (normal).

No candy, cake, sweets, or anything with added sugar in weeks. Fruits and sugar-free yogurt taste wonderful. No white rice or bread, no pasta or any other unhealthy starches. I am learning (quickly). I picked the Mediterranean diet and might even go vegan for 90 days if I find guidance and/or support.

I feel good. I was hungry and I liked it. My portions were way too big and I have been eating too often and too much. I am not starving, I am just learning to eat smaller portions. It's not even hunger, just cravings, and cravings are not a command.

I enjoyed a Subway sandwich today, but couldn't eat it all. The footlong I ordered (because it's a habit) was too much, I only ate half of it. (Glucose 2 hrs later still much lower 138)

I feel good eating right. I feel good planning my meals. I feel good logging my food and I feel good writing here so openly. I haven't felt good about myself in a long time.

I will be writing here under the category "success stories" because I will be one :-)

(Have I mentioned that I lost 7 pounds!!! This old(er) lady is happy and feels good.)

Replies

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You will be a success story because you have a terrific, positive mindset.

Keep your eye on the prize. :)
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 13
    Options
    Hi @ByeByeToDiabetes Congrats on the 7lb weight loss and normal fasting glucose level.
    Personally I would stick with the Mediterranean diet. It's easy to follow. It gives you a choice of a wide variety of foods and healthy fats and moderate protein are good.
    Don't be afraid of fat. We were programmed for years to eat low-fat or non-fat. So the food manufacturers removed the fat and replaced it with sugar. And we all suffered. In the 1960's hardly anyone was overweight.
    It really does help to log. It's fun in a way. If I plan my meal in the morning for the day and notice that I'm over my calories or haven't included even protein, then I just make changes. If you don't already have one, you might think about getting a kitchen scale.
    Good luck!
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You'll more likely stick to it if you're feeling good and enjoying it.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,326 Member
    Options
    Great job!

Yes. Good observation about how your tastes change - and it doesn’t even take that long!

One thing that helped me in the early days was a portioned plate, and some ladles that were sized in cup, 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 cup sizes. I’m not using them anymore because I’m much better at eyeballing my portions these days.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm so impressed! What a difference that short time has made for you. Feeling good is such a motivator. I hope you will be able to take that feeling forward with you so that you can continue to make progress throughout the year.
  • chefdonnaann
    chefdonnaann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is a huge life change and you deserve a pat on the back for taking the first steps. As you lose you are going to feel so much better!! Very best wishes!!
  • driedgern
    driedgern Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great work! A diet habit is so hard to change, just getting started is the hardest part. Also remember exercise also helps regulate blood sugar and I find it also helps reduce cravings. You didn't mention anything about your exercise habits. It doesn't take much to help out your blood sugar. If you aren't already getting in 10,000 steps a day. I would recommend adding 100-200 steps to your weekly daily average until your are averaging 10,000 steps a day. Most phones these days have a free step tracker app.
  • 365daysandheathy
    365daysandheathy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Such a fantastic positive post. Thank you and well done. You have this, I am similar to you - I am 264lbs and am pre diabetic, not sure if I can reverse this. Keep up your good work and I look forward to seeing your success story
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!