Tips For a Week-Long Trip

Options
lisakatz2
lisakatz2 Posts: 202 Member
edited April 14 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm going to New York next month for a week, to see my brother and sister-in-law. I'm determined to stick to my eating and exercise plan while I'm away. I'd like to keep on losing, if not maintain. Any travel tips? I'm not checking my bag so no large quantity of liquids, plan on bringing a container with protein powder and some good nutrition bars with a decent amount of protein in them. Any protein bar recommendations? Any diet/fitness travel tips? I think I know how to order in a restaurant but will probably be eating many meals at home (I'm staying in my father's home, R.I.P). Will have access to a full kitchen.

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but after my last trip last year I gained a couple of pounds.
This will be a limited treat trip and I'd going to try my best to budget my calories for them.

Replies

• lisakatz2
    Options
    Plan on sticking to my walking schedule, hope the weather isn't too rainy.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    lisakatz2 wrote: »
    I'm going to New York next month for a week, to see my brother and sister-in-law. I'm determined to stick to my eating and exercise plan while I'm away. I'd like to keep on losing, if not maintain. Any travel tips? I'm not checking my bag so no large quantity of liquids, plan on bringing a container with protein powder and some good nutrition bars with a decent amount of protein in them. Any protein bar recommendations? Any diet/fitness travel tips? I think I know how to order in a restaurant but will probably be eating many meals at home (I'm staying in my father's home, R.I.P). Will have access to a full kitchen.

Maybe I'm worrying too much, but after my last trip last year I gained a couple of pounds.
    This will be a limited treat trip and I'd going to try my best to budget my calories for them.

I would just focus on eating reasonable portion sizes, not really tracking, and not worry about it beyond that. It's one week. A drop in the bucket.
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

I would just focus on eating reasonable portion sizes, not really tracking, and not worry about it beyond that. It's one week. A drop in the bucket.

Sounds like a plan, but I'll probably end up tracking anyway. Accountability keeps me on the right path.

That's just me.

Oh, and I am going to bring packets of plain oatmeal, my go-to breakfast! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Was the entire 2 pounds gained on the earlier trip fat (stuck around semi-permanently), or partly water retention (dropped off over a couple of weeks to a month after without special intervention)? Eating in unusual patterns, flying or long drives: Those are things that increase water retention. It's realistic to expect a scale bump after a long trip, even if calories are on point.

Two pounds of fat in a week would require eating on average around 1000 calories over maintenance (not just over calorie goal) every day of a 7-day trip. Betting you're not going to do that without noticing. ;)

It sounds like you have an overall reasonable plan, and given that you have a kitchen, you should be able to live somewhat similarly to how you do at home. If you're concerned about being able to walk, maybe take a tablet if you have one and line up some tolerable indoor walking or other manageable exercise videos before you leave. If you have for any tourist-y activities, prioritize the active ones. (If you're talking NYC, there are great museums that are coincidentally a nice number of steps to tour. ;) )

You've been doing fine so far. I think that if you execute your plan, there's no reason to expect fat gain (but there may be a temporary scale bump from water retention). Even if the worst were to happen, you now know how to lose a couple of pounds of fat if necessary . . . but I'm betting it won't be necessary.

Have a good trip!

• lisakatz2
    Options
    Thank you Ann for chiming in. Your information is very reasonable and makes a lot of sense. You always do a great job of reassuring me. I think I will be OK. And thanks for the well wishes, I'm looking forward to this trip. Yes, I plan on visiting a couple of museums and will be doing much standing/walking right then and there! I never fail to visit the Metropolitan.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ann for chiming in. Your information is very reasonable and makes a lot of sense. You always do a great job of reassuring me. I think I will be OK. And thanks for the well wishes, I'm looking forward to this trip. Yes, I plan on visiting a couple of museums and will be doing much standing/walking right then and there! I never fail to visit the Metropolitan.

Yeah, try to approach this with reason. As someone who flies many times per year, or otherwise does long train rides I know waterweight and potentially constipation very well. It just happens. And it sticks for quite a while. Travel waterweight is the stickiest type of water retention. Wishing you a wonderful trip, enjoy, have fun with your family <3
  • lisakatz2
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yeah, try to approach this with reason. As someone who flies many times per year, or otherwise does long train rides I know waterweight and potentially constipation very well. It just happens. And it sticks for quite a while. Travel waterweight is the stickiest type of water retention. Wishing you a wonderful trip, enjoy, have fun with your family <3

I'm familiar with travel-related constipation. I plan to carry some Magnesium Citrate powder in my bag. Works like a charm, and you can easily adjust the dose.

I've discovered Barebells Protein Bars, they have 20 grams of protein in each bar and are 200 calories.
    I usually cut them in half and eat them as a snack if it's going to be awhile til my next meal, and they are very portable. Thing is they have sugar alcohol so not the best tasting, but it keeps the carbs reasonable.

Thank you for the well-wishes :)