Frustrated!

Options
I have only been on this site a few days. But already I am frustrated. Not in the way you might think. I am easily getting under my calorie goal each day (with the exception of my first day when I had eaten takeout twice in on day and that HARDLY ever happens). I have not changed my habits since using this site and I am still getting under my calories. And when I workout like I did tonight I am quite a bit under my calories. I was working out and eating healthy before joining this site but I had just stopped losing weight. I know I was still toning up and getting in better shape but the scale just wasn't moving! I thought that maybe it was what I was eating. I am just wondering if I should change my settings. I have it set to lose 1 pound a week. I thought that was a reasonable goal. I have two kids and cannot workout every day. I usually get in about 3 hour long workouts a week. Maybe more depending on the week. But never every day. I am worried that if I change my settings to more than 1 pound a week I will not be able to get under my goal on the days that I don't workout without starving myself. I really don't feel like I eat that much. I have some snacks during the day but try to make them healthy snacks instead of junk food. I am just very frustrated! Maybe the scale will say something different at the end of my first week. I would love any suggestions anyone has!

Replies

• GuamMom
    GuamMom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary and goals, I think maybe it would be good to lower your cals...I do 1200, and have lost weight steady! Good luck to ya!! Keep up the good work!
  • pheebers
    pheebers Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty new too, but so far everyone seems really nice. I've been using myfitnesspal for about a month, and almost always stay below my calories. Like you, my exceptions came when I was away on vacation and had to get takeout.

As I said, I stay below my calories, but sometimes my weight goes up instead of down. It seems related to how much salt and fat I eat. For example, two nights ago I "saved" my calories during the day so I could have a few jalepeno poppers at dinnertime. I was still under my calories for the day, but the next morning, I was up a pound from the previous morning. I tried to keep it healthier yesterday, and the pound was gone this morning. As it's slow going (I'm trying for the recommended pound a week too) I am learning that for me it really matters what I eat. Too bad, because I do like fatty foods! Oddly enough, sugar doesn't seem to cause the gain for me unless there's fat too.

I'm not sure if this is just me, but hope it helps a bit. You may want to experiment with what you're eating, not just watch calories.
  • luv4chelle
    luv4chelle Posts: 15
    Options
    This site helped me maybe it will help you too.

http://bit.ly/bODHwt
  • matomama
    matomama Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice. I know I just need to keep experimenting but it is just frustrating to not know what to do. But I am going to keep at it! :)
  • ctrysing3
    ctrysing3 Posts: 5
    Options
    It may be that if you are working out like you are that you need to eat some of those calories back... eating under your limit continuously with all the workouts you body can stop losing if you don't eat some of those back.....
  • summersk
    summersk Posts: 59
    Options
    I would suggest taking your measurements as well as weighing yourself. You said that you were still toning up, the thing to remember is that when you are building muscle it weighs more than fat by about five times! So while you may not be "losing weight" in the literal sense you are losing weight in that you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Taking measurements has kept me sane during those times when the scale hadn't moved for two or three weeks on end. Even though the scale wasn't moving the measuring tape was and I could see the difference in the mirror and in the measurements. You also may want to switch up the type of workouts you are doing, you're body gets used to the same type of movements and slows down the weight lose progress at that point. "Shock" you body, so to speak, by switching up your workouts and also every now and again you may want to go over your calorie count for a day, I've read a few posts on here where people have done that and pulled out of a plateau because of it. Hope this helps out, good Luck! :smile:
  • mrdowden
    mrdowden Posts: 6
    Options
    My best advice is simply to stick with it. Feel free to read my recent blog post. :-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mrdowden/view/encouragement-33883
  • tina_011794
    Options
    Also, not all calories are equal. If you are eating under your calories but consuming things like bread, tortillas, potatoes, and other foods that spike your sugar, you may be doing more harm than good. Everyone need different types of food, it is knowing what works for you. I am currently lowing my sugar and food that will transition to sugar food. I am hoping this will help. I did loose 2 lbs last week, so it may be working. I can typically get down to about 143, but then it just stops.