Keto and pain management

Options
Hello all! I’m writing to ask about experiences with keto and pain management. I could definitely lose some weight but at the moment I’m dealing with a good bit of pain from a herniated disc in low back and other random aches and pains.
Also curious on experiences with keto and effects on brain health?

Thank you!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    KETO isn’t a magic Fatloss diet. Your overall weekly calories will determine if you lose or not and not whether you eat carbs or don’t eat carbs. Some people like it and some don’t for various reasons. Some argue that your brain runs better on ketones however some argue against it so you just have to try it and see the effect it has for yourself
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    eady11 wrote: »
    Hello all! I’m writing to ask about experiences with keto and pain management. I could definitely lose some weight but at the moment I’m dealing with a good bit of pain from a herniated disc in low back and other random aches and pains.
    Also curious on experiences with keto and effects on brain health?

Thank you!

So I've recently started a Carnivore diet which I guess is technically keto and within the first week chest pains I got from running went and lower back pain from long walks went.

As for brain health, I'd say I feel more positive and able to focus.

From my understanding it's not that eating meat helps, it's that you're cutting out foods/additives that cause problems.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    edited April 16
    Options
    Keto for brain health and improvements in cognitive ability is well documented and goes back a decade or longer. Again a keto diet is good for reducing systemic inflammation, again well documented and on a personal note I've been either low carb or ketogenic for over a decade and it eliminated my IBS, constipation, and intestinal pain symptoms totally. My job, as a chef relies on my hands and moving quickly, I play hockey twice a week and workout 3 times a week and the arthritis in both knees and in my left hand is gone, not there anymore and was a game changer to say the least. Psoriasis is a thing of the past mostly, I've had 2 small bouts in the last 4 years. As far as energy and any brain fog that's very much improved as well as memory, which just doesn't happen as we age and at 71yrs old, that is very important. The diet also has maintained my muscle mass quite well and my attempt at increasing mass last year worked well, so I'm not disappearing and falling over as I age. This is common amongst people on keto and unfortunately most people will tell you it doesn't matter it's about calories, which is true for weight loss and the keto diet also helped me lose approx 60lbs and currently and for the past decade don't count calories which I suspect are the effect of the satiety and hormones associated with appetite, which still work just fine. I was also a few points away from insulin resistance and my A1C is now in the low range of just under 5 and my triglycerides which were close to 200 are now in the mid 40's and my HDL is now in the upper 80's, basically my inflammation is in the basement and a recent calcium score for heart disease was 0.

There's actually thousands and hundreds of ongoing research with ketogenic diets simply because it the only dietary intervention that actually has a marker to show that the participants are actually benefiting from that dietary intervention and that marker are ketones.

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article/79/7/802/6044704

Although scientific literature on the subject is scarce and there has tended to be a lack of scientific rigor, the studies reviewed confirmed the effectiveness of this diet in improving the cognitive symptomatology of the aforementioned diseases.

The scientific community has been maintaining for some years that chronic diseases in the form of refractory epilepsy, glucose transporter deficiency syndrome type 1 (GLUT1-DS), Alzheimer's disease (AD), and Parkinson's disease (PD) appear to have a similar neurophysiological correlations, including oxidative stress, neuroinflammation, and mitochondrial dysfunction. These correlations, linked to the notion of the regulatory role of gut microbiota in local and systemic inflammation and, generally speaking, of the major effect of nutrition on neurodegenerative diseases and on cognition, have led to the search for new scientific evidence regarding the relationship between diet and disease