No more diets?

Options
jan110144
jan110144 Posts: 1,261 Member
I have been successful with weight loss (often and impressively at times). Yet, here I am back at MFP once again. This time I am totally committed to stop this nearly lifetime worth if yoyo-ing and learn how to get to and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I am figuring this out as I go and so far it is working, but still nowhere close to where I would like to be.

I would love to find a few people who would also like to break the dieting cycle and find a way of developing a sustainable lifestyle. Anyone interested?

Replies

• Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they do say that certain diets cause the body to respond in a certain way that loses weight in the short term but aren't really sustainable in the long run and that usually most the weight dieters lose eventually piles back on.

It's more about forming better habits and incorporating them into your lifestyle. Walk instead of drive, take the stairs instead of lifts, etc.

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited April 16
    Options
    For me, success has been based on eating as authentically as possible, and not eating over my threshold weekly. This is how I managed weight loss and exactly how I’m managing maintenance. If the worlds are too different then it’s not gonna work.

For example, some days I might eat less, some days a little more, but the power of tracking allows you to get your needs met and makes sure, at the end of the week, your calories are at your weekly goal. This allows you to be a human being and live your life where food/dieting doesn’t control the narrative in everything you do.

Since you’re in Phase 1: losing weight, eat the goals set up by MFP (don’t pick an aggressive goal, something like a 250-500 calorie deficit), weigh and track anything with calories, and follow your weight trend. You’ll see if you’re on target or if you need to adjust those calories one way or another.

Too often we over complicate the process, going from one extreme to another. Trying to tackle calories, macros, every oz of water, X amount of exercise, a “perfect” diet plan with no “bad food”, is a recipe for disaster. This is why so many people throw in the towel and gain it all back plus more. It’s not realistic.

Maybe that’s why very few people take this advice when it’s given. It seems… too easy? It can’t possibly work unless you’re perfect and torturing yourself, right? It’s actually the opposite.

I hope you find long term success this time by taking an authentic approach and learning to live your life with food that brings you joy, makes you feel good, and meets your energy needs. By following a reasonable calorie goal, you’ll start to see how the food you choose can be adapted to check each of those boxes.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have never dieted but I have changed my eating habits to loose fat and maintain my current weight. Works very well for me. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,913 Member
    edited April 16
    Options
    Everyone is different because everyone's metabolic health is their own and no two people will be the same. Certain diets, the Standard American Diet for example is problematic for the vast majority and any divergence from that diet will more than likely show signs of improved health. The problem with that is again, most people have a hard time giving up enough of those very hyperpalatable foods and create new eating habits. I've personally found a way of eating that works for me for the last dozen years and hopefully you do too. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,449 Member
    Options
    Reframe how you think about it.

No one is “successful with weight loss” unless they’ve found a way to maintain that loss.

It sounds like you go hard, lose the weight, holler woohoo! and fall right back into old habits.

That’s what you need to change.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is your goal weight. Calculate your calories needed to maintain at goal and test drive that for a week or so. I did that when I was 5 or so pounds from goal, I switched to estimated goal calories to see if this was something I could live with, and yep...eventually the weight came off to goal. That way I have found it very easy to maintain. I'm mid-70s and on no meds and my doctor is thrilled.