Simple meal/snack ideas

Options
I hate trying to figure out heathy recipes then having to cook 2x because my kids eat differently than my self.
So I am looking for simple maybe 2step stuff.
Breakfast-
Snack-
Lunch-
Snack-
Dinner-

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 18
    Options
    I am not sure I have a large arsenal of 2-step meals for each thing but - for dinner or lunch I very often will have parcooked rice (you can get many different brands either in bags or other containers - I use the Veetee Rice and Tasty Jasmine Rice) - add whatever protein you like....can add some veg and sauce and boom -meal.

I also very often will get those salad kits - Taylor Farms, etc....and just add a protein to that and eat it. NOTE: I eat usually two meals per day so my meals are typically calorie dense - and you may be able to share the salad kit with another person to make it fit more for whatever your caloric need is per meal. Often I'll get the Dill Pickle one and add smoked salmon - or cook my own chicken to add. Often I just get a rotisserie chicken and break it down at home and keep it to add as a quick easy protein to whatever I want.

To me it's super convenient bc it's easy to log and know what you're eating and it takes not a lot of prep - the rice takes like a minute and a 1/2 to cook in the microwave - and you just throw the rest on top. Can change it up with the protein/sauce/seasoning/veg and have all sorts of different stuff.

Snacks - for me are almost always seasons nuts, jerky/dried sausages, yogurt and fresh fruit, banana/apple w/PB, mainly stuff like that.

Breakfast for me is harder to think of something super easy - unless you'd be able to prep stuff that's more grab/go on the weekend for the week: can find recipes for egg bite type things, or little muffins packed with protein, etc. I don't really do 'meal prep' though so I often lean on pre-packaged things (ex. the parcooked rice). I am also *kitten* at cooking rice no matter how hard I try.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    If you are the cook, you get to choose what's for dinner.

Your kids will not only adapt, but they will develop a good relationship with healthy food if that's what they get used to.

What's different about what you eat and what they eat?
  • kaferine69
    kaferine69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can boil some eggs ahead of time and then peel them & they'll keep for a few days. I like to mix hardboiled eggs in with canned tuna and some salt/pepper to taste and a bit of smoked paprika. Good with crackers of your choice, a pita, bread, etc. Or if you're feeling adventurous, slice the eggs in half, scooped out the yolks, mix the yolks with the tuna & spread the mixture in the egg halves a la deviled eggs. I also like hardboiled eggs with salads. Eggs go quick in my house!

You can also put together meat & cheese/veggies tupperwares pretty quickly. I'll add some kind of nut if I want extra fat, or maybe some cranberries or raisins if I want something sweet.

I recently started doing avocado toast. I never got into that craze in the past 10 years, but have started to now. I mash up an avocado with salt & pepper, toast some whole wheat bread, spread the avocado on top. For toppings, you could also put a dollop of greek yogurt. I enjoy carmelizing some sliced onions and then glazing them with balsamic vinegar. And topping the avocado toast with that as something with texture. It's quick and filling, not complicated to make, doesn't use a lot of ingredients, and can be done at the same time that you prepare your kids' food.