Help

Options
Hi, l have been trying to lose weight. Sticking to 1200 calories. I have been really good and doing 16/8 fasting too. I am struggling to lose anything 😪 any help would be appreciated 👏

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    You've just joined, haven't you? For how long have you been trying to lose weight, and for how long are you tracking your food intake? How are you tracking?
  • jeanettegreen1689
    jeanettegreen1689 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No l have been on here for a few years now on and off. Trying to track each day, but if l don't get a chance l am weighing all my food and calculating my calories. Each day ready for the next day.
  • jeanettegreen1689
    Options
    No l have been on here for a few years now on and off. Trying to track each day, but if l don't get a chance l am weighing all my food and calculating my calories. Each day ready for the next day.

• jeanettegreen1689
    Options
    Thank you, and you. I lose a lb only for it to return a day later. I'm so frustrated too. I know l'm not going over my allowance and weighing everything. I have never struggled this much before. I couldn't drop down calorie intake, it's hard enough on 1200 being hungry all the time.
    I have been told l am pre diabetic, not by much. Just wondering if this has anything to do with no lose.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and you. I lose a lb only for it to return a day later. I'm so frustrated too. I know l'm not going over my allowance and weighing everything. I have never struggled this much before. I couldn't drop down calorie intake, it's hard enough on 1200 being hungry all the time.
    I have been told l am pre diabetic, not by much. Just wondering if this has anything to do with no lose.

If you’re that overweight you should lose 1lb a week fairly easily. Please open your diary so we can help. It’s usually the kickstarter we need from time to time.
  • BethHockaday
    BethHockaday Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 19
    Options
    Tracking every bite is essential! I try to plan my day out so I know what I will eat and when. Of course, there is much room for flexibility as I may decide I don’t have a taste for chicken or broccoli later in the day. Nevertheless, you have to track EVERYTHING!!! Tracking keeps you accountable and also allows you to back off the calories if you know you have only so many left for the day. I have been off and on MFP but am now taking it seriously and tracking everything - now down 11 pounds in 28 days. I was also told I was prediabetic, and on top of a heart condition, I know losing weight is a matter of life and death. You can do this- you have to hold yourself up to the task (or Tracker, in this case).
  • jeanettegreen1689
    Options
    Hi, thank you all for your replies ☺️ l don't know how to show my open diary 🙄 l have gone into my settings and my profile is set to show to the public. What do l change and where 🙈 l am 9st 10lb. l know my weight isn't heavy, heavy but for me only being 5ft this extra 10lb is awful and very uncomfortable in my clothes. Also trying to lose some weight after being told l'm pre diabetic. Thanks again for all your replies and hopefully advice to come 😁 have a lovely day 😊
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Hi, thank you all for your replies ☺️ l don't know how to show my open diary 🙄 l have gone into my settings and my profile is set to show to the public. What do l change and where 🙈 l am 9st 10lb. l know my weight isn't heavy, heavy but for me only being 5ft this extra 10lb is awful and very uncomfortable in my clothes. Also trying to lose some weight after being told l'm pre diabetic. Thanks again for all your replies and hopefully advice to come 😁 have a lovely day 😊

As a fellow petite, I hear ya. Taller people can have a hard time understanding the struggle. Being extra conscientious about tracking your calories accurately and being consistent is key, especially for those last 10 pounds. The fastest rate of loss that I would suggest at our height (5 ft as well) is .25 pounds a week. It's going to be slow going. That doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Remember, this is a lifetime thing, not a "till ______" thing. So, if doesn't really matter whether you lose a pound in a day, a week, a month, or even a couple months. Trust yourself. If you're consistent, it will happen.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    edited April 20
    Options

If your pre diabetic then you have a carb intolerance problem which just means your body is having a hard time processing carbs properly which can lead to higher blood sugar and eventually if it persists, diabetes and other non communicable diseases. Reducing carbs is a good strategy and focus on whole foods, non-starchy vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats which results in increased insulin sensitivity and lower A1C. With your size I would suggest no more than 100g's of carbs a day and less is better with protein representing around .8 to 1.0 g's per lb of body weight as well. Ideally exercise should also be part of this intervention. Lower carb can be more satiating as well which can result in reducing those hunger signals, works for me. I had a similar situation years ago as you do now, and that worked very well, as it does for most people that try this, good luck. :)
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
    edited April 20
    Options
    Sorry @jeanettegreen1689, since I can’t see your diary here’s the three things I would look for: logging accuracy, consistency, and patience. If you don’t have that then you likely have the answer to your issue.

As an aside, I’m sure you’ve seen pre diabetes recommendations yourself, but just incase here’s what I’ve found (source: mayo clinic)-

“Eat healthy foods. A diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains and olive oil is associated with a lower risk of pre diabetes . Choose foods low in fat and calories and high in fiber. Eat a variety of foods to help you achieve your goals without compromising taste or nutrition.”

“Be more active. Physical activity helps you control your weight, uses up sugar for energy and helps the body use insulin more effectively. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous exercise.”

“Lose excess weight. If you're overweight, losing just 5% to 7% of your body weight — about 14 pounds (6.4 kilograms) if you weigh 200 pounds (91 kilograms) — can significantly reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. To keep your weight in a healthy range, focus on permanent changes to your eating and exercise habits.”

In terms of weight loss you just need a calorie deficit, no special diet, because food preferences and satiety are personal. We want to maintain that loss by eating in a way that comes naturally to us. No more yo-yo diets created with rules and plans that we can’t possibly do forever. Following your weight trend will take the stress out of fluctuations so I recommend Happy Scale or Libra.

I hope you check back with some good news!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited April 20
    Options
    Struggling to lose weight =/= I am not losing weight. It sounds to me that you may be losing weight just fine -- if you set yourself to a target that is reasonable for your stats. i.e. closer to 0.25lbs per week than 2lbs per week.

2lbs per week worked fine for me for a SHORT time before I reduced it to 1.5lbs per week--but I was a morbidly obese ~5ft 73/4" male at the time! Now being normal weight I wouldn't even contemplate the idea of more than 0.5lbs a week and I wouldn't expect more than 0.25 if that.

Plug your numbers into a weight trend app. You may be surprised as to how adequately you're actually losing. Slow loss looked at from the "ground level" without "tools" such as weight averaging looks like no loss.
  • jeanettegreen1689
    Options
    Thank you all, some great advice and l will change a few things in my diet. I am still recovering from an operation on my foot so hopefully my exercise routine will soon get back to normal. Great advice though 👌 thanks 😊