Overtraining?

Options
2»

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I eat about 700-950 calories a day and run 5 miles every morning for 6 days a week. I have hard days and easy days. Sometimes if I've had a few hard days in a row then I just increase my calories a bit. Seems to always help. Here's a video that may help to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvByZlyacg
    *hunts frantically for picture of the Nopefish from I'llnevergothere inScrewthatistan.*
    No!

Lmfao. Was iiiit... This?

nopefish_zps106600cf.jpg
  • sukiwabi
    sukiwabi Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're over-doing it, pure and simple. Been there numerous times.

The litmus test is simple. Stop everything for 3-4 days. If you're very strong in your workout on the 5th day then you KNOW your body needed the recovery.

I'm in the gym/running 3-5 days a week and every so often I take a week off because I can see my times going down, despite protein shakes, creatine and glutamine. Then I'll go back after a short break and blitz my routine! But then I'm 40 so maybe needing the break is an age thing!

same here - i'm 39. i absolutely KILL IT after a few days' rest when i feel like i'm flagging and need rest/more cals. it's hard on me mentally, because i want to just keep going hard, but i've come to realize some rest periods keep me fresh and free of injury.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I eat about 700-950 calories a day and run 5 miles every morning for 6 days a week. I have hard days and easy days. Sometimes if I've had a few hard days in a row then I just increase my calories a bit. Seems to always help. Here's a video that may help to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvByZlyacg
    *hunts frantically for picture of the Nopefish from I'llnevergothere inScrewthatistan.*
    No!

Lmfao. Was iiiit... This?

aintnodamnwayimgoingintherewadefishing.jpg
    Found one. Yes! There he is.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any days off for rest?

ie. if you lift weights, you should take a break in between of a day before lifting again if you are using the same muscles ( ie. leg day, rest, leg day) you can still do cardio or arm day in between.. your muscles just need time to repair after weights
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I generally don't have a day off exercise, but I don't do weights on consecutive days (although I haven't done weights at all for a couple of weeks as I was upping the cardio).
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use an iPhone app called "ithlete" to help me monitor my training load. It helps me avoid overtraining.