Exercises for those with limitations

Options
Hi, I’m new to using discussions. I have Ménière’s disease and my vertigo bets out of whack every so often. Floor exercises are out of the question. I am just now able to start using machines to help strengthen my balance issues by strengthening my core (without a lot of head bobbing and movement). Any machine recommendations? I’m really trying hard. I’ve also started intermittent fasting but I’m not feeling too successful. I over-ate today bc we went to theme park and it was easy access foods. What’s your secrets to eating right when you go out??

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Mmyers924 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m new to using discussions. I have Ménière’s disease and my vertigo bets out of whack every so often. Floor exercises are out of the question. I am just now able to start using machines to help strengthen my balance issues by strengthening my core (without a lot of head bobbing and movement). Any machine recommendations? I’m really trying hard. I’ve also started intermittent fasting but I’m not feeling too successful. I over-ate today bc we went to theme park and it was easy access foods. What’s your secrets to eating right when you go out??

I don't have exercise suggestions. (I mostly row and bike, either of which are high-head-movement or balance-centric.)

Eating right when out? Make a plan ahead of time about what "reasonable" looks like in the context. If there are menus I can look at online in advance, I do that so I can take my time considering options. If there's some really rare, maybe special occasion, I would just eat the tempting things, and try not to go whacko-crazy.

If you only very occasionally go to the theme park, I'd probably handle it that latter way, personally.

One rare day is a drop in the ocean. Our routine daily habits/patterns are the ocean. The majority of days trigger the majority of results.

Note, though, that unusual eating (different food choices or higher volume or higher calories) can cause a maybe-big scale jump the next day, way out of proportion to the calorie excess. (It's water retention and food residue on its way to becoming waste.) That can take a few days to a couple of weeks to drop off the scale, maybe even a bit longer for women who have monthly hormonal cycles that also trigger water retention. If that happens, wait it out.

Yesterday, I ate a large homemade ultra-delicious cinnamon roll, a chocolate no-bake cookie, half (or so ;) ) of a long John (what we call long rectangular donut-dough things with cream or custard filling and chocolate frosting), a cup or so of rich hot chocolate, a whole veggie pizza with feta cheese (around 14", reasonably thin crust, rich), a pint of good craft beer, and other goodies. That, on top of a more nutrient-dense breakfast yogurt bowl with berries, a large skim latte (no syrup, don't like it), and probably some small things I'm forgetting unless I go back to my log. The total was well over maintenance calories.

I'm not concerned. It was a couple of unusual social events (one of which was physically active). I enjoyed it. I've done something similar quite a few times (occasionally) in nearly 8 years of maintaining a healthy weight (after losing from obese to healthy weight, which followed about 30 years of overweight/obesity). I weighed 131-point-something pounds (around 59 kg) this morning (at 5'5", 165 cm). Other than possibly water weight weirdness, I don't expect any major impact.

Avoid frequent repeats, stick with your healthy eating/activity goals the majority of the time . . . it's likely to work out fine, IMO.

Best wishes!

Eating in excess for one rare day doesn't have much long-term impact, IME, any more than does that rare day when I might work out for 5 hours. It's a blip.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Seated cardio might be your best bet. Caroline Jordan on YouTube has several videos for that and it also includes core strengthening in the vids. She also has "hurt foot" workouts that can be performed while lying down. That way you can get in cardio exercises without having to be on your feet.

I don't use machines, but I do use free weights for my workouts. Many upper body exercises can be performed with weights while seated on a bench. If you have access to machines at a gym I highly recommend any seated machines for leg workouts. That will help you to do some resistance training without The need to stand up and balance.

Eating out and staying within my goals takes planning. If I'm going with friends I usually find the online menus and decide beforehand what to eat that's within my goals. Otherwise, I have my usual restaurants and picks that I frequent. You may want to check out the website for "Eat This Not That" which has comparisons for many popular restaurants and offers swap suggestions.
  • Mmyers924
    Mmyers924 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    @FibroHiker thank you for the Caroline Jordan recommendation! My plantar fasciitis is back for a 3rd time. My PT has said that each time it returns, a full recovery less likely, or will take a significant amount of time. I am back in the pool more, but I just watched one of the #hurtfootworkouts that she posted, and it was great! (I watched, didn't try yet, lol) This is such a great, helpful community :smile:
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,378 Member
    Options
    Oooo!!!

One of my diagnoses is Ménières!

I also have some other stuff going on.
    But boy oh boy that loss of balance can really mess with working out!
    Years ago I tried running on a treadmill.
    That was… ill advised.
    I was doing great, a good solid clip, and then I felt like the treadmill took a sudden dive to the right.
    Never again. Not for me.

Here is what I use. It’s called a NuStep.
    We have the Tr5 model, which is really nice for multiple reasons.
    You might have seen one at physical therapy.
    They are expensive but for my family it was well worth the price to have one in my living room. They do offer financing.
    We’ve had ours for 4 years now and zero issues or regrets.
    I can barely walk. But I can feel like I’m flying on this machine. I get a very good workout. And my husband, who has a mid range dementia is still able to use it, and it’s dropped his need for insulin in half.

Feel free to ask me questions, or send me a friend request.

to601sfebwir.png

https://www.nustep.com/product/t5xr/

• lulabelbo
    lulabelbo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Also stationary recumbent bike is usually available at the gym. Its stable and no head bobbing.
  • kaferine69
    kaferine69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Stationary recumbent bikes are awesome. You can increase or decrease the resistance on most for a better workout. I have one at home that I got off of the Facebook Marketplace for $80. I can't walk for long periods because of lower back pain, but I have zero back pain using a recumbent bike. Really was a game-changer for me.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,378 Member
    Options

lulabelbo wrote: »
    Also stationary recumbent bike is usually available at the gym. Its stable and no head bobbing.
    kaferine69 wrote: »
    Stationary recumbent bikes are awesome. You can increase or decrease the resistance on most for a better workout. I have one at home that I got off of the Facebook Marketplace for $80. I can't walk for long periods because of lower back pain, but I have zero back pain using a recumbent bike. Really was a game-changer for me.

Yep. The NuStep is a high class stationary recumbent

I call it an elliptical because there’s a little more range of motion in the legs and arms.

And yes, for the most part a less expensive machine will do.

One advantage that a NuStep has for someone who has a balance disorder is the low profile step through design. It’s hard to relay just how much effort it can be to step over a typical exercise machine frame to begin using it.
    And once you are seated it doesn’t jiggle or feel unsteady at all.

I don’t know if OP’s balance is as bad as mine. But with Ménières a rock solid machine might be worth the extra money.

Most physical therapy offices have one or two. Usually an older model in my experience. If OP wants to try one out it might be worth it.