Fiber!!

Options
Hey everyone,

I'd like to share an experience ive learned so far during my weight loss over the last 56 days now.
So dar 3 things have been a complete game changer. So much attention is focused on the main macros (protein, carbs and fat) and as they should be.
But one of maybe the most overlooked and underestimated nutrients is FIBER!!
I started tracking my fiber and sugar on here for the last 56 days and it was shocking to me!
I averaged about 12 grams of fiber and 120 grams of sugar a day!
And I felt I was a healthy consumer of food!!
Since then, I have focused on flipping that around and coonsuming more fiber than sugar a day and the weight has been falling off me.
I allow a 2600 calorie a day total andI dont even get there most of the time.

Protein is great for making you feel full, but fiber is even better!!! couple those 2 together and you are in business!
Now i average around 60 grams of fiber per day and 40 to 50 grams of sugar.
Ive dropped 14 LBS noe in 2 months and I feel awesome!

I do strength train 3 days a week and do some cardio as well. But nothing crazy.
Anther product id like to share with tyou is a probiotic called Seed. Most people dont know that most of the TRILLIONS of healthy gut bacteria advertised in foods and drinks get killed in your stomach. There are some studies that show there are benefits to the dead bacteria that go through but we are early on data with that right now.

Seed is a timed capsule that was tested over hundreds of times until they found the goldie lox zone where the bacteria gets released in your intestines/colon.
I know this worked because I probably set a record for farts in a 48 hour period until my microbiome adjusted. It can take a couple days to a couple weeks to adjust depending on the person.

Since I had taken this supplement along with increased fiber, I feel much better energy through the day and sleeping has been outstanding. I try to focus my diet to help my microbioome be healthy and strong. Its the rainforest of your body. Its the second brain and is literally connected to your brain via the vegas nerve.

We are only begiing to understand the importance of the microbiome to your overall health. I just know since Ive done there 3 things. Take Seed, increase fiber to feed the gut bacteria and lower sugar, my overall wellness has been better than ever.

Im not a professional, Im a truck driver lol. But i wanted to share my experience with doing those 3 things. Everyone is different buy maybe this helps some people.

Replies

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. I get half the amount of fiber you mention per day. How do you manage it? Bigger portions, certain foods, or supplements?
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    I've increased my fiber, too, with MFPs help. I've also cut my sugar. I hope I'm healthier for this.
  • diddy1319
    diddy1319 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've incorporated more beans in my diet. Chicpeas are great as well.
    Chic peas and navy beans are great in smoothies.
    There are bread wraps that pack about 15 grams of fiber per serving.
    Pears are great as well. But I try to get about 10 to 15 grams per meal.
    A great smoothie I make every morning is half cup of navy beans, scoop of protein powder, chia seed, almond milk and some fruit. I change up the fruit each week to mix up the flavors.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Yes this is so true! I get anywhere from 50 to 100 even, usually in 60 range. Never felt better
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    I am glad that works for you. It likely will work for others, but for myself, protein and fat fill me up and keep me full respectively. Fiber, which I used to focus on eating a lot of, really didn't help me personally. It did give me a lot of gas though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    For many people, digestive distress from increased fiber is a temporary adaptation issue. It can go beyond gas to diarrhea or constipation. If someone's working on increasing fiber, I'd strongly suggest they do it gradually. I'm not saying there'll be zero adaptation, but it shouldn't be as extreme with a gradual increase. Get enough hydration, get enough fats, too. (No need to be crazy extreme with either, just reasonable.)

Also, without belaboring reasons, varied fiber types from food would usually be more beneficial than getting a bunch of single-type fiber from a fiber supplement.

There's something to be said for probiotics from varied foods, too: Live-culture yogurt or kefir, kombucha, miso, raw (unpasteurized) sauerkraut, kim chi, or fermented pickles (they'll be refrigerated, in commercial versions), raw vinegar, etc.

(I'm not dissing probiotic supplements, which I haven't researched in detail or used. I am kind of dissing fiber supplements, if they're the main source of fiber.)

I usually get plenty of fiber from my food, which includes lots of veggies/fruits plus some whole grains.

While fiber and protein are part of what's filling for me, I agree with rileysowner upthread that that may not be universally true. (Fat isn't remotely filling to me, though.) Satiation tends to be somewhat individual.