Gaining more muscle mass

Options
Hi I recently lost my husband which caused me to lose a lot of weight and muscle. I am trying to get back on track. I’m having a hard time gaining muscle. I weight train 3 days a week. Any help would be appreciated. Also trying to learn counting macros.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Have a structured program to create muscle hypertrophy. Progressive overload and high volume (16 sets per body part).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think you have to manage expectations as well. Muscle building is not a days and weeks endeavor, it's more like months and years. A pound or so a month is about the most a woman can put on under ideal circumstances. That of course, doesn't mean you won't get stronger, it's just the amount of physical muscle that you gain is pretty limited.

It's slow, but it's worth it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above. I'd add that strength (re-)gain is usually much faster than adding muscle mass, and strength is useful/rewarding in itself.

You don't mention current age, size, or lifestyle, so it's hard to give you tailored advice.

One factor not so far mentioned is to make sure you're getting very adequate protein, preferably in a context of good overall nutrition. If you've lost weight beyond what's ideal, getting extra calories is part of the formula, too, and eating a little above maintenance calories is how to gain weight and get the best muscle mass gain long term. (Note that your own weight changes over 4-6 weeks, whole menstrual cycles if you have them, is a better gauge of calorie needs than what some online calculator or fitness tracker says.)

For protein, a rough rule of thumb is to get at least 0.6-0.8 grams daily ideally of good-quality, bioavailable protein (meat, fish, dairy, soy, etc.) per pound of target body weight. More is fine for anyone without pre-existing kidney disease.

If you want a more nuanced protein estimate, this is a science-based source generally regarded as neutral:

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

"Good overall nutrition" also means adequate fats, fiber, micronutrients, and beneficial phytochemicals. The MFP default goals can be a good start as you working on learning more about nutritional theory and how your personal body responds.

Like you, I'm a widow. For me, that happened at age 43, which was a long time ago. (I'm now 68.) I admire that you're working at pulling yourself out of that aftermath, and finding a new and positive way to enter your future. IME, that effort is worth it.

Best wishes!