Record for Signing In??????

Options
kuhnrj
kuhnrj Posts: 1 Member
Way back in December 2012, our youngest son had a major surgery at Mayo Clinic, Rochester. On the way home he commented that he would like to see both my wife and me live a lot longer by losing some weight and for my wife to quit smoking (She did a year ago in March). He gave me the link to myfitnesspal and suggested I try it for awhile. I am a CPA and my working career which ended in 2016 involved a lot of time behind a desk, some travel to destinations with great food and very little exercise other than fishing from a boat and some golfing (cart only). We had both a treadmill and a recumbent bike but I rarely used them. We also ate a lot of fried foods (including beer battered walleye). My weight had been climbing 3-4 pounds per year and by 2012, I weighed 265 pounds (6
foot tall)! After our son's advice, I decided to try to lose some weight. We made several behavioral changes:
1. We began either grilling or baking all of our pork, chicken, beef and seafood. We also stir-fried or steamed our vegetables.
2. Being a number cruncher, I began counting my calories and offsetting exercise using myfitnesspal on my cellphone. Logging food and exercise is not an exact science (Golfing in a cart is about 50% of the myfitness time for the exercise). The key is to make it a habit.
3. I began riding my recumbent bike 3-4 times a week for 35-50 minutes each time. It was easy to pop a DVD in the player and pedal away!
By the end of February 2013 I'd lost 28 pounds. By the end of May 2013, I lost 60 pounds!!!!!! I attended a national meeting in June and friends were afraid to come up to me thinking I had cancer; one good friend finally asked me if my weight loss was deliberate and I confirmed that it was!
I have now logged in for 4,139 days (11 years and counting). Since my original weight loss, I have only changed my weight a few times. When I step on a scale and I'm up 5 pounds (after travel usually) I increase my exercise and lower my calorie intake until I'm back at my goal weight. This process takes some discipline and willpower and is not for everyone. Not everyone has a son who was willing to call his parents fat/overweight. I now tell everyone I'm 70+ going on 50+! Myfitnesspal and following our son's advice changed my life.

Replies

• slimmerjesse1
    slimmerjesse1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    good job!
  • DawnOssett
    DawnOssett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well done on your loss. I am an "Ancient Member" myself (according to a badge I didn't realise I had) although I have had some months of not signing in and yo-yo'd in my many years here, so I take my hat off to you for signing in every day and getting back on track after your holidays. You are an inspiration.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Today makes 4664 days of logging in. I initially came here years ago in an attempt to bring down my elevated cholesterol level and, of course, lose some weight in the process. I accomplished both within four months (it kept me off cholesterol-lowering drugs) and have, thankfully, kept the majority of the weight off through the years thanks to logging into my food diary each day. MFP has become a way of life at this point. I'm so grateful for this site!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You have a FAB son 😎🎖️‼️
    Am over 4,000 days of signing in and logging meals and fitness everyday, even on holiday I buy some kind of wi-fi plan so as not to fall behind. CONGRATS and continued good luck to you....it's esp great that your wife no longer uses tobacco.👩‍💻👩‍🔧👩‍💻
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing success story. Way to go on putting in the work to get healthy and stay healthy!!!
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!!! So impressive. I have been around since 2012 myself. Although I fell off the wagon so many times. I wish my parents would take my advice and do the same. I am currently back strong after two kids. I almost at 25 lbs!
  • micahtouchet
    micahtouchet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm at 4,441.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited April 28
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a wonderful success story!

I have a steady log-in streak also and am coming up on my 13-year anniversary in June. We should really be awarded a free pen or something. B)

• MamaCDubbs
    MamaCDubbs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    love all of this! having the will power to change our habits is such a challenge. Congratulations to your and your wife for investing in YOU.
  • tschoeber
    tschoeber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever posted here before but I noticed this thread and thought I'd share how thankful I am for MFP, too. I've logged all of my eating — good and bad! — for 3714 days in a row.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!