Having trouble actually losing weight

Options
So I’ve been on MFP on and off for many years and I found it was usually pretty easy to lose weight once I started just paying attention to what I’m eating. I’m now in my 50s and I’ve drastically lowered my calorie intake but I’m still not losing weight. I’ve been consistently on for about 6 weeks now. I do struggle with cravings at around 8 pm after the kids go down. I don’t go over my calorie allowance but it does seem like I have an awful lot of calories to burn. I exercise just about every day. What am I doing wrong? Will this eventually kick in? Is this jusy because I’m now in my 50s?

Replies

• Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have you considered lowering your daily calorie allowance? Maybe by just 100cal.
  • jcawelti
    jcawelti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I think what I might do next is not allow my exercise to add calories back to my daily allowance. I always got to bed with plenty of calories and it seems I should be losing more.
  • rhymeswithspleen
    rhymeswithspleen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m with you. In my 20’s and 30’s it was simply a matter of calories-in-calories-out for me. I’m in my mid-40s now and it’s a completely different scene. Are you feeling stronger even though you’re not noticing a difference on the scale? Sometimes I go weeks without dropping any weight, but my clothes fit better and my knees hurt less.
  • jcawelti
    jcawelti Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel better because I’m doing it but I am not taking meds for my knees. I just want to look better. I know it sounds shallow but I feel like there should be more movement by now!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    edited April 30
    Options
    What do you have your “activity level” set at? There’s something to be said for not realizing that you are more sedentary than you used to be over time.

If you are female and weigh yourself during different times of the month and are pre menopausal, that can also mask progress because the number of the scale shifts during different parts of our cycle.

How much do you have to lose?
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think so.
    I'm late 40s and decided just to accept my extra bag of potatoes I'm carrying around, haha.
    I am short and feel like I'd have to starve myself to be anything less than a size 8.
    I'm going with smart BMI that takes age into account!
    https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/
  • bethg1422
    bethg1422 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a calorie deficit? & I never eat any extra calories I burn. Hopefully it will sort itself out.