Body composition nutrition?

Options
I haven’t posted in awhile, so much going on. Does anyone have any nutritional experience with a body composition meal plan? I’ve been weight training for years and feeling good but I’m wanting to cut a little and need some nutrition help! Any advise would be great for gaining muscle and burning fat at the same time 🙏🏼 bnz2tpun9psh.jpeg

Replies

• BlkBltCoachVic
    BlkBltCoachVic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same...
  • Hannah_FCB
    Hannah_FCB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is what I do! Let me know if you still need help.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    The less fat you have the more difficult it is to do both simultaneously. 99% of the time it's best to work towards one goal or the other. Many times just losing fat will make you appear more muscular if you have decent muscle mass under the fat layer.

Sometimes the way to look 10 lbs more muscular is to lose 10 lbs. of fat, just keep training hard and keep protein high in a slight weekly calorie deficit
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hmm well I’m not an expert or anything but just from my experience I build the muscle first with the calories I need so that I have the strength to lift more weight and build muscle and then when I feel that I’m stronger or have the muscle I want then I lower my calories and still lift the same to keep the muscle but I look lean and muscles pop bc fat around it sheds. Just be careful if you lower calories and lift the same weight bc you might not have as much strength from food. Do 8 reps instead of 10 or 12 but same weight. But like I said that’s just what I do. I have no idea what the right way is. This just seems to work for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    edited May 1
    Options
    Your body composition looks pretty good already. You must have already been doing something right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "body composition nutrition". There are certain nutritional minimums we need to meet for good health, and if muscle mass gain is in the mix, ample protein is a key part of that.

Figure out your protein and fat needs in grams, not just percent of calories. Get plenty of essential and beneficial micronutrients, phytochemicals, and probiotics. For a variety of reasons (which I won't belabor unless you ask), I think it's best to get as much nutrition as possible from food rather than from supplements.

For protein needs, this is an evidence based source that will include consideration of your goals:

https://examine.com/protein-intake-calculator/
    https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/

For fats, I suggest (based on my personal reading as a non-expert) something in the range of 0.35-0.45 grams minimum daily per pound of body weight, for women (NB I am one). Men might get away with a bit lower. (ETA: Bonus points for a reasonable balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fats; reasonable balance of polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and saturated fats.)

I use carbs to balance calories, but eat a lot of carbs (mostly from fruits, veggies, no-sugar-added dairy and some whole grains). Carbs are theoretically flexible (not technically an essential nutrient like protein and fats are), but some people find carb intake affects either appetite or energy level. You can figure out how that works for you.

Tom is right about muscle gain and fat loss being somewhat contradictory goals.

Caveat: I have zero formal education or certification in human nutrition, except a tiny bit of education as part of coaching education for my sport (rowing). I'm just an interested amateur who's done quite a bit of reading and personal research because I think good nutrition is very important.