Shout out for Taekwondo!!!

Options
New here and wondering how many of us are into Taekwondo???
I have been at it since last December ( green stripe now) and *love* it..I never thought I would say that about exercise..lol!
I have had to battle many injuries since starting (shin splints,pulled muscles, sprained toe) but it didn't deter me one bit..I am eager to get to every class! Our son has done it for 12 years on & off..I wish I would have had the courage to join him years ago..always wanted to but didn't feel I could do it..I was so wrong!

So..who else is in to it? How long have you been at it? Belt level?

Replies

• grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    There must be "someone" here who does TKD!:bigsmile:
    What about other martial arts?
  • robbie1968
    Options
    Hi :

I do TKD. I am a red stripe going for red belt in three weeks.

Rob
    Canada
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I did it many, many years ago when I was in highschool. My 20 year reunion is tomorrow. Anyway when I stopped I was a blue stripe. I am also an orange with a purple in Kenpo, that is more recent. I love the martial arts and what they can do for your mind and body.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I used to do TKW: I got up to brown stripe first dan when I was 13: I quite because I was the youngest in the class, and the next youngest, a 19 year old guy, was hitting on me (made me nervous :frown: )

I would LOVE to get back into it, just can't afford it now. I do have my T'ai Chi & Kickboxing DVD's which I :love: :love: :love: :love: and if I could afford martial arts, I would definitely take Akido & TaeKwondo :love: :love: :love: :love:

I am hoping in a couple years we can afford that little "luxury", I really love to exercise now & look forward to my different routines & getting new ones every few months :happy:

Good Luck with your training: it's a good kind of addiction :flowerforyou:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think it's cool that people are into this. I tried it, but it just felt weird to me. I felt very out of place and it wasn't my thing. I'm more of a yogi at heart.:-)

Shannon
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Hi :

I do TKD. I am a red stripe going for red belt in three weeks.

Rob
    Canada

just catching up on my posts now! so how did your red stripe test go?

i just did my blue stripe test a week ago..waiting on results!
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I did it many, many years ago when I was in highschool. My 20 year reunion is tomorrow. Anyway when I stopped I was a blue stripe. I am also an orange with a purple in Kenpo, that is more recent. I love the martial arts and what they can do for your mind and body.

I totally agree..it is a great sport..I find it very motivating & it has given me some confidence in my physical abilities!
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I used to do TKW: I got up to brown stripe first dan when I was 13: I quite because I was the youngest in the class, and the next youngest, a 19 year old guy, was hitting on me (made me nervous :frown: )

I would LOVE to get back into it, just can't afford it now. I do have my T'ai Chi & Kickboxing DVD's which I :love: :love: :love: :love: and if I could afford martial arts, I would definitely take Akido & TaeKwondo :love: :love: :love: :love:

I am hoping in a couple years we can afford that little "luxury", I really love to exercise now & look forward to my different routines & getting new ones every few months :happy:

Good Luck with your training: it's a good kind of addiction :flowerforyou:

Hope you can get back into it..sounds like you really enjoyed it!
    I am so happy/lucky that my son and I train at a GREAT place that is super affordable too..some places are very $$$$!
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I think it's cool that people are into this. I tried it, but it just felt weird to me. I felt very out of place and it wasn't my thing. I'm more of a yogi at heart.:-)

Shannon

I found it very awkward at first too..luckily my 18 yr old who is a black stripe was there and helped me out- made it easier for me :-)
    It did take a while to get the hang of things though.
  • Dutchie_in_Mobile
    Options
    Hi my name is Eric and I just started here on MyFitnesPal last week (See my post in "Introduction").

I also just started TaeKwonDO this past Tuesday. Today was my second class. The instructor has us working out and doing all kinds of exercises...... It is killing me! At my age starting the exercises after doing nothing for so long.... I have muscles that are aching in places I didn't even realize I had muscles!!!! But how addictive!
    I started because my 13-year old daughter started last November and since I was driving her to the class and then had to wait, I thought I might as well just join her And I am glad I did.
    My son (12) also started today, as he can join for free!
    And I burn a boatload of cals doing it!

Anyway, it is good to see I am not the only one here doing this>

L8er, Eric
  • Dutchie_in_Mobile
    Options
    Oh.... by the way, that means that I am only white belt!
  • littlelioness
    Options
    I used to a few couple of years ago. I did ATA...so I'm guessing the belt levels are different. I got to second degree brown...then had "issues" lol. I've not been back =/ but I loved it!
  • grover0ca
    Options
    Hi my name is Eric and I just started here on MyFitnesPal last week (See my post in "Introduction").

I also just started TaeKwonDO this past Tuesday. Today was my second class. The instructor has us working out and doing all kinds of exercises...... It is killing me! At my age starting the exercises after doing nothing for so long.... I have muscles that are aching in places I didn't even realize I had muscles!!!! But how addictive!
    I started because my 13-year old daughter started last November and since I was driving her to the class and then had to wait, I thought I might as well just join her And I am glad I did.
    My son (12) also started today, as he can join for free!
    And I burn a boatload of cals doing it!

Anyway, it is good to see I am not the only one here doing this>

L8er, Eric

way to go on joining with your kids..it is a great family activity that is for sure!
    i love the work out..when i started i was doing no other exercise so boy it was a shock to my body..i was feeling it every day for a long time..lol!!

you'll have to let us know how your first test goes :-)
  • grover0ca
    Options
    I used to a few couple of years ago. I did ATA...so I'm guessing the belt levels are different. I got to second degree brown...then had "issues" lol. I've not been back =/ but I loved it!

i think they would be different..i do WTF..we don't have brown belts..
    good to hear you enjoyed the sport though!
  • CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in Tae Kwon Do! Its the only exercise I can stick with! And the fact that you burn 500 cals or more just is the icing. I'm a purple belt currently. Its the best workout ever. I also do cardio kickboxing now too.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    In all my years it has turned out to be my favorite exercise..I really look foward to going several times a week...and yep-it's a pretty good calorie burn!
  • Dutchie_in_Mobile
    Options
    I am actually also doing the ATA. That's the school that was closest to us....
    I don't think it really matters what program you're in, just as long as you do the exercises and stick with it. It is a great self-confidence booster (the reason why we wanted our daughter to join....) and on top of that you learn to defend yourself and have respect for others (the reason why I wnated my son to join.....)!
    I just wish it wasn't as expensive as it is...... Oh well, the cost of feeling and looking good and healthy, I guess. :bigsmile:

Eric
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Another TKD student here... actually our whole family is involved... WTF style. and a great workout... I'm currently High-purple, 14 months into it.. our belt system is this:

none
    white
    yellow
    orange
    green
    high green
    purple
    high purple
    blue
    high blue
    red
    high red
    bodan 1
    bodan 2
    bodan 3
    black

I feel like I need to be accountable... they take attendance so I feel like someone's watching me.. unlike @ the gym where nobody cares if you go or not.
  • grover0ca
    Options
    It is a great family activity...I love that it is something that I can do with my 18 yr old son :)
  • jforddesign
    jforddesign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did TKD and JJ back in high school. Took Krav Maga and Sansoo in College. Now i do Northern Praying Mantis and Xingyi Kung Fu.