Best natural foods to balance hormones

Options
I'm a 44-year-old woman. I have been researching natural foods to balance my hormones, estrogen and progesterone. Based on research, I have started adding 1/2 teaspoon maca to my protein powder, which may help with estrogen. However, I'm relatively new in my journey and want to hear from other women.

Does anyone have any insights based on their own experience?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,963 Member
    edited April 29
    Options
    Yeah, high carb, sugar and low fat diets reek havoc on hormones. Higher protein animal foods like salmon and mackerel which have a lot of omega 3's also walnuts, keep the omega 6's to a minimum and use olive oils and avocado oils instead of canola or soy. It's a start and a lot of women get their period back after years on a low fat high carb diet. Incorporating a regular exercise routine is also good for hormonal balance. Anyway I'm not a women, but this is information I got from a few women I've known over the years so take it for what it's worth.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    Yes! Soy- the isoflavones and phytoestrogens HELP balance hormones, not increase them. Broccoli, Flax seeds are especially good for women hormone balance. Also, other seeds and nuts like sunflower and sesame. Dark greens, pumpkin, avocado, turmeric, cinnamon and fiber. I would include sweet potatoes, and lentils and limit any white refined starches.

. I use White ginseng I get from an acupuncturist and doctor of Oriental medicine. She helped change my life. I learned much from her on this topic. Wild yam is something that may support hormone health.

I would eliminate milk and dairy. hormones in dairy is associated with hormone disruption. If you do have dairy, perhaps try goat cheese, imported aged harder cheeses. I would stay clear of saturated fat and refined sugar.

I grew up with acne, depression, weight problems and disruption in menstrual cycles. When I reached my late 30's I drastically changed my diet. I went through menopause and am now 51. I can express enough how those changes reshaped and revived my life ;)

These are good resources

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Body-Balance-Science-Hormones/dp/1538747421

https://www.healthline.com/health/phytoestrogens#benefits

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/foods-for-menopause/
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Check out Dr Mary Claire’s book, The Galveston Diet. She is also on Twitter, and TikTok. She focuses on women’s health, is a board-certified OB/GYN with a nutritional background. I think you will like her.

Some of her stuff is relatively ok but she is very heavily marketing, and the keto diet is a heart health risky diet and is meant for short term. Women.in middle age are vulnerable to CVD, Diabetes. Avocading it plus the Twitter aspect and the unavailability ro see her diet without signing up is a red flag imo. Just saying, while some of it is good the high fat is not.
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I appreciate your responses.

If anyone has any insights on herbs like black cohosh, maca, etc., please share. Also, how to balance progesterone.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Black cohosh has been use to helps support managing hot flashes. Maca has some properties that may enhance hormone production and some women report weight gain, others increased energy snd some weight loss. Men can benefit from it for make stamina and testosterone support. Shavarti is an adaptogenic Aruvedic remedy for women. I like saffron, it's available as a herb for cooking but it isvery expensive. It is avaiable in supplement form. DIM is a substance that may support estrogen metabolism. There is Ashwaganda, SHoly Basil and Roodiola, good for overall stress and adrenal health. I use an Oriental Chinese herb my friend who is a DOM and accupunctilurost gave me, it's basically a for of ginseng. It is White ginseng.
    I work in the health and wellness field and work in a Vitamin nutrition store, so I have a long history with supplements amd herbs. I do believe in some- not all and iits important to get a really reliable source.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,963 Member
    Options

If anyone has any insights on herbs like black cohosh, maca, etc., please share. Also, how to balance progesterone.

Well, a decent whole food diet where you get enough to support a healthy immune system with enough zinc, vitamin B6, magnesium and vit C for example, maintain a healthy weight and exercise should be a first line of defense and of course hormone therapy if your PCP thinks that's important and not mucking around too much looking for the magic bullet with supplements in doses that are probably not going to make much difference and if they did how would you know. imo
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 350 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    There are strong links between gut health and balanced hormone levels. What most don't realize is that as you age, certain healthy foods can cause inflammation to your gut because your body no longer tolerates them any more. These are Fodmaps. I can no longer eat vegetables like: celery, broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus, because they irritate my intestines. I also can't eat apricots, pineapple, or mangoes.

Since I have taken care to remove Fodmaps from my diet I have gradually lost some weight ( including abdominal fat) and my perimenopausal symptoms have reduced.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but it's worth a try to do an elimination diet and then slowly reintroduce foods to see if you have reactions to Fodmaps or other foods. An irritated gut doesn't help anyone's health.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am looking into not just this but foods that boost metabolism etc. Interesting thread.
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I appreciate all the comments and insights.

I came Fast Like a Girl author and podcaster; she is amazing! Check out her podcasts on YouTube.

Chasteberry addresses progesterone balancing. Most herbs like Maca and Black Cohosh balance Estrogen.

@VegjoyP, how can I connect with your Chinese herbalist?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited May 13
    Options

I was 58.5 years old before I ever had a hot flash. I took black cohosh (with dong quai) for many years for uterine fibroids. I don't think it actually helped with that, but I kept taking it because of the potential suppression of hot flashes. I stopped taking it in 2022 when I had a hysterectomy. 2.5 years post-hysterectomy, I started having very mild hot flashes so I have resumed the black cohosh. I've read it can take a month to kick in.

Also for my uterus, I took Prometrium, a bio-identical progesterone. After I switched insurance companies, it was difficult to get approval, but with persistence, and being willing to be prescribed something that WAS in the formulary and then reporting its side effects, I was able to get it.

You sound like someone who might appreciate Dr. Christiane Northrup's "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" which is available in my library system so perhaps yours as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Bodies-Wisdom-Revised-Emotional/dp/0553386735/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    KeriA wrote: »
    I am looking into not just this but foods that boost metabolism etc. Interesting thread.

Here's my favorite article on metabolism: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-increase-metabolism/