I'm a newbie...please be patient

Options
CWalin
CWalin Posts: 2 Member
Hello everyone, I'm here trying to gain weight by keeping track of nutrition. I have wondered if I have an absorption issue & occasionally experience IBS. I also know I need more exercise, as I have osteoporosis so trying to navigate bone loss & eat healthier.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,305 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Bone loss can be offset through weightlifting. Studies have shown that even geriatric women who started lifting showed remarkable improvement in bone density.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    @nossmf is spot on about weight lifting being helpful for bones.
    The osteoporosis diagnosis suggests that you might need to start off slow, with multiple repetitions of small weights.
    Along with that you might want to consider something like a recumbent elliptical machine. A gentle pace is likely to be beneficial, without adding too much stress on your bones or joints.

As always, consult your medical team, and/or a professional sports trainer for individual advice when navigating more complex issues like you’re describing.

There is a whole sub category here on MFP for people who need to gain weight. You might want to ask some questions about diet there.