Diabetic question

Options
What are some healthy meals I can eat that won't raise my blood sugars?

Answers

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Focus on simple proteins (chicken, sirloin, salmon) with a bit of healthy fat (olive oil, avocado, real butter in moderation) and add in complex carbs like green veggies (broccoli, zucchini, spinach). Leave anything white alone (sugar, white bread, rice, white potatoes, etc).

One of our favorite simple meals is chicken thighs in the air fryer with a sweet potato and veggies. No oil needed for crispy skin in the air fryer. Yum!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 462 Member
    edited April 30
    Options
    Hi :)

Have you had a chance to meet with a diabetes nutrition expert?
    -- sometimes blood glucose rises from other things going on in the body, so there is a balance between eating to nourish the body and using medications for blood sugar control...

And, carbs/starch tends to raise blood glucose/sugar, but many meal plans for diabetes include some carbs. Often 45g for meals, 15g for a snack if doing a "carb counting" approach...

But how do you build a meal then?
    ~ one approach is like @chicbuc
    described; choose a protein serving, choose a carb/starch serving, fill other 1/2 with non-starchy veggies. ~ A picture can help of the deconstructed plate

k8e9rcagwach.jpg

If you combine the parts into foods you might normally eat,
    -- think Bento bowls - grilled chicken and saute veggies over brown rice

-- or egg fried veggies/rice with chicken or shrimp skewers
    dhhlka631qwj.jpg

-- think veggie stuffed chicken soup or beef stew... chicken bites in a tossed salad with croutons... the choices/combos are endless...

When i choose the food using the picture, then use the MFP tracker to check amount of the carb, protein and veggies to use :)

• Dontkillbill1509
    Dontkillbill1509 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love eggs for breakfast or any meal actually. They help me lower my a1c and my cholesteral numbers are good.