Hello

Options
2 days in have only 2 friends. Need all the help I can get. I usually give up losing at this point because I don't like to be hungry. But I’m doing this not only for myself but for my family as well We have a gorgeous niece and handsome nephew. I want to be around for a long time.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    If you give up at Day Two that doesn't bode well, does it?

If you are unreasonably hungry maybe you need to do one or all of the following:

1. Don't set a goal that's too aggressive. I lost nearly 80 pounds by eating 1500-1600 calories per day (55 YO F, 5'7" retired.) 1200 was completely not possible for me, but 1500-1600 was fairly comfortable once I found some good meals that kept me satisfied and within my calories.
    2. Get some exercise, even if it's walking for 15 minutes after each meal. That will give you more calories to eat. For instance, the above 1500-1600 became 1800-1900 on "exercise days" for me. 1800-1900 is a goal that will allow you to not be hungry.
    3. Eat mostly whole foods, and try to get enough protein and fat in your day. That will help. Experiment and make note of how certain foods affect your hunger and how long you can stay satisfied on certain foods.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome :)

I have noticed big hunger the first few days when I change my eating and eat fewer carbs. Appetite tends to reset from days 3 to 5 and it gets easier so hang in!

fwiw, when i'm crazy hungry, I try cuppa tea, broth veggie soup, big garden veggie dinner type salad, popcorn - things that are crunchy munchy like veggie sticks dipped in salsa...
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,508 Member
    Options
    Good advice already.
    It does get easier over time.
    Keep going one day at a time.

There was a time when I needed to white knuckle the grocery cart handle when shopping. I don’t need to do that anymore.

Step by step. And don’t quit.
    If you find yourself struggling, or not feeling like it’s worth it? Push through and just log what you’re eating.

Ask questions here. Participate in a challenge. It really can help.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 807 Member
    edited May 3
    Options
    Hypothetical questions, but how many friends will make you change your mind? What number will be the number that gives you motivation, changes your habits, and prioritizes your health? Since you have 2 more friends than I do, is it 5? 25? When will you decide and make a plan you can stick to, and check in to hold yourself accountable? No one can do this but you, and motivation gets taken for granted quickly, like your 2 friends. It will never be enough. You have to be enough. And you are.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,508 Member
    Options
    2 days in have only 2 friends. Need all the help I can get. I usually give up losing at this point because I don't like to be hungry. But I’m doing this not only for myself but for my family as well We have a gorgeous niece and handsome nephew. I want to be around for a long time.

I peeked at your MFP profile. Saw you’re still logging in. That’s a win.
    I’m gonna send you a friend request.

I know we’re all responsible for our own decisions here. But I admit I like a little chit chat with others who understand it’s not always easy.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You're going to feel hungry. We all have to cope with it somehow.
    I enjoyed a helpful book I recently read: The Hunger Habit by Judson Brewer. He's a behavioral psychologist who studies eating behaviors. He offers lots of good mental techniques for coping. He's got some free resources on his website: drjud.com. I still recommend the book.