I can do this (I think)

Options
Hungry! I’m SO hungry…only another hour before lunch. How do YOU handle hunger?

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 455 Member
    edited May 2
    Options
    sometimes cuppa hot tea helps ~ hang in! lunch will be here soon!

I have noticed big hunger the first few days when I change my eating and eat fewer carbs. Appetite tends to reset from days 3 to 5 and it gets easier so hang in!

fwiw, when i'm crazy hungry, I try cuppa tea, broth veggie soup, big garden veggie dinner type salad, popcorn - things that are crunchy munchy like veggie sticks dipped in salsa...
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you're new at this, give it some time.

Protein, fat and fiber are generally filling. But (of those things) what's most filling for YOU is individual. Look at your macros and make tweaks to your diet as you go. You get better at this.

It's also worth mentioning, an aggressive weekly weight loss goal gives you fewer calories to work with. Sometimes it's easier to stay on track when you give yourself a little (more) wiggle room.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein.. :)
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used to chew gum when I was hungry. I figured at least I was tasting something.
    Id change to a new flavor every 15 minutes.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I tell myself I'm not hungry, I'm thirsty. And then I drink a big glass of water and wait until lunch time.
  • kebass01
    kebass01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is me today. It comes and goes. Some days are harder than others when it comes to hunger. Today is a bad hunger day and I can’t chug too much water bc I have to be at a ball field tonight with no plumbing. So I came on here to find a similar post to pass the time and read comments. Sometimes we just have those days no matter how much protein, fiber, water we consume. It sucks but every hour that passes makes it closer to a new day and continued progress. I just look forward to my scale and keep thinking about the drop I will see by resisting. Good luck!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Options
    I eat. If I don't, I get really hungry, overeat, get mad cause I overate, gain a lot of water weight, get madder cause the scale.
    So I eat. But I try to be wise about it. Low cal veggies. Low cal protein. Hot Low calorie drink.
    I would rather go over my calorie goal by a hundred or so of good, healthy choices than hold out for a while, then go over by 1000 on ice cream and brownies.
  • BarbaraInSarnia
    BarbaraInSarnia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    flavored water with ice cubes. I usually drink a glass fairly quickly and then sip on a second. I have multiple flavors so I can switch it up
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Eat more protein.. :)

This. Protein to fill you up. Fat to keep you full. That is what works for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    Experiment to figure out the most sating routine. The right routine will be different from one person to the next. Others can provide ideas to try, but not guaranteed solutions (no matter what they may claim ;) ).

For me, the formula was a pretty big breakfast with solid protein, then protein through the day, plus volume (for me, big veggie servings) at some point, usually dinner. Your formula is likely to be different. People here do well on low carb, high fat, high protein, eliminating processed foods, moderating processed foods, anything from one meal a day (OMAD) to all-day small snack-sized multi-meals, and everything in between.

Same deal on the exercise front, though I think it's a generality that overdoing for current fitness level (to the point of fatigue) will be counter-productive. Look for a fun (at least tolerable/practical) routine that's challenging, but not exhausting, then build up from there (to preference) as fitness improves.

If you ask me, it's like a fun, productive science fair experiment for grown-ups, with a big payoff.

For sure, I'd suggest not doing that "lose weight fast, then go back to normal" approach that way too many people attempt (usually briefly and without true long-term success). A moderate, sustainable approach can get a person to goal weight in less calendar time than some extreme, punitive regimen that causes deprivation-triggered bouts of over-eating, breaks in the action or even giving up altogether. As a bonus, it helps us discover and groove in habits that can help us stay at a healthy weight long term.

In the first couple/few weeks, the body tends to want food at times of habitual eating, in habitual amounts, in habitual situations. One MFP-er used the analogy of training a puppy: If you're consistent, learning happens, and good outcomes follow. If sometimes-off, sometimes-on . . . well, the body internalizes the idea that rebellion is productive. Not good.

That said, there's no reason to put all supposedly "bad foods" that you enjoy off limits. Sure, if there's something you can't moderate, don't keep in the house or eat it, at least for a while. But if there are treats you can eat in calorie-appropriate amounts alongside getting reasonable overall nutrition, there's no reason to totally restrict those things. A Dove chocolate at 45 or so calories doesn't cancel out the broccoli earlier in the day, y'know? It's about overall balance.

As far as your specific case: I'd maybe eat a bit of the planned lunch early. I found when I was first losing that I'd be hungry heading into dinner time. What I did was first cut up a bunch of veggies (celery, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, jicama, whatever) and nosh on those while I fixed the rest of dinner. That worked fine for me. You may need a different approach: Don't be afraid to experiment.

Some experiments won't deliver the results you hope. That's OK. It's not a failure, let alone a character fault or sin. You've learned something useful, a thing that doesn't work. Try something else. Keep experimenting, and you'll figure it out.

Only quitting leads nowhere. Trying things that don't work, then trying other things, sticking with it until something sticks: That will carry you down the road in a long term positive direction, given patience and persistence.

You can do this. The results will be worth it, I predict. They sure have been for me, 1000%.

I'm cheering for you to succeed!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Options
    Only if you keep trying.
    Quitters are almost guaranteed failures.
    (OP hasn't been back)