Why is my weight wobbling?

Options
My weight is going up a pound down a pound
Up a pound down a pound. This has been going on for a month!

Answers

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    You would have to give far more information to answer that. A pure guess since it has been a month is you are now eating at maintenance. You either need to tighten up your logging, ie. measure everything you eat and drink, ideally weighing it to the gram and verifying the database entries you are using; or you need to drop your calorie goal by 500 or so.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're successfully maintaining your weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,648 Member
    Options
    It's 100% normal to go up and down. Unavoidable, even.

But if you're in a calorie deficit, the overall trend should be gradually down, as observed over multiple weeks (like at least 4-6 weeks, or whole menstrual cycles for those who have them).

I'm in long-term maintenance, but working on my usual Winter into Spring transition of decreasing weight a bit. In January/February, my scale weight was randomly meandering up and down in the range of about 134-137 pounds. In March/April, still meandering up and down, but more like 132-134. Here we are in May, it's looking like 130-133. That's what slow weight loss looks like. Faster weight loss will also meander, but across more pounds.

Expect meander. Even in faster weight loss, give it at leas the 4-6 weeks or whole menstrual cycles to give a reasonable statistical picture of what's happening.

If you see stable meanders over many, many weeks . . . yeah, high likelihood you've found current maintenance calories. That may not be the calorie level that so-called calculators claim, but the calculators (even fitness trackers) tell you the likely results for statistically average people. You're not an average; you're a unique individual. You could turn out to need more or fewer calories than average. Multi-week real-world results don't lie. Can't, in fact.

Best wishes!