More calories…?

Options
Hello! Hopefully I’m in the right place. Quick question. I’m 64kg slim and I exercise probably 3-4 times a week. I’ve always restricted calories. Anything from 1000 to 1200 per day. On a weekend I allow myself more.
My question is should I up my calories to 1400? And train more times a week? Would this give me any benefit? I’ve had two babies I definitely don’t have abs! I don’t want to be skinny I want to be strong.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Answers

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

1200 is the rock bottom minimum
    1000 calories is dangerously low unless you’re unusually short, and/or disabled and not moving much.

Pay attention to your energy level throughout the day. If you aren’t ill, but are feeling tired? Bump your calories up.

This process is not meant to be a punishment.

TDEE calculator

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Or

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

Unless you are unusually small, and/or unable to exercise at all, dropping below 1200 is not advised.

Strength comes from building healthy muscles. A too extreme calorie deficit decreases muscle. If you want to be strong you need to eat enough calories to build up muscle.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    edited May 8
    Options
    Yes, less opportunity for nutrient deficiencies, especially if your not really focusing on whole foods but more of a standard American diet. Things like bone and mitochondrial health are kind of important and I suggest you talk with someone (in healthcare) based on the chronic lower level of calories you say you generally always have engage in. imo
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    What has your weight been doing over the last few months? If fairly stable then you are at your maintenance calories and are taking in more than 1,200 calories a day on a weekly average which is what you want to look at.

For strength you need to be on a proven weight training program and eat enough protein.