Hey

Options
fc9jq8nsf5
fc9jq8nsf5 Posts: 1 Member
My name is Erika and I’m new around here. Trying to lose some weight and be more healthy overall. I’m very out of shape and exercise sucks but I’m doing it. I like eating healthy food so that’s easy. I’ve been a type 1 diabetic since childhood. Anyway, you beautiful people seem lovely. Thanks for being so kind and welcoming.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Erika!
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hello
  • webbdood28
    webbdood28 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 9
    Options
    Welcome! Add me as a friend if you feel like it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,461 Member
    Options
    Hi, Erika!

Curious about why exercise sucks for you.

I hope it's not because you're thinking you need to do some punitive, miserably intense official "workout" in order to get fitness benefits, because that's 100% not true. Suffering isn't necessary, and it can actually be counter-productive for either weight loss or fitness improvement.

Even moderate exercise is beneficial. Something like walking (at manageable distances) is good. Active video or VR games can be fun. Playing with children (if you have kids) counts. Just moving more is helpful.

Honestly, the best bet is something that's a manageable bit of a challenge, not more. Ideally, something fun, or at least tolerable and practical. There are so, so many things that are options: Walking, biking, swimming or playing in a pool, frisbee, other games, canoeing or kayaking, dozens of different kinds of dancing, learning a martial art, yoga or stretching, and much, much more.

Maybe try some different things. That can be fun, too. Misery isn't a necessary part of success, I promise!

Wishing you success!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I used to think exercise sucks. Just the idea of setting aside the cookies or chocolates, laying down my book and getting off the sofa, well, it appalled me.

Turns out, once you start moving, movement actually becomes fun and a thing to enjoy.

The key is finding something you enjoy doing.

My first few months, I just walked. Loved walking. Walked longer, and more often.

Then I joined a gym. Gyms were terrifying to me. Oh! The judgy judgement! Then I realized people were too engrossed in their own workouts and their own insecurities to pay a lick of attention to me.

I started doing spin twice a week. Realized I utterly loath spin. Hate it with a passion. So I quit. I didn’t quit everything, just that one thing. But, I’ve got a recumbent bike I love. I’m on it right now, typing this.

It’s like the old saying, if you can make a living doing something you love, you’ll never have to work. Same with exercise. If you’re doing something you love, it’ll never be a chore.

Get out there and find that thing(s)!

I lost a substantial amount of weight. I’m in better health than I was in my 30’s, and I’m twice that age now. Losing weight has been epicly, cosmically life changing.