Moving away from Cambridge plan....

Options
I was on the Cambridge diet, biggest mistake ever - weight has came back on very quickly and now I'm heavier. I wanted a quick fix but regret doing it now. I know a calorie deficit plan is the only thing for a sustainable weight loss. However, feel like my body is confused as I'm having 1500 compared to the 700 I was on. Still in a calorie deficit but gaining weight. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice

Answers

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    You won’t gain wait in a deficit. If you gain it means your weekly calorie consumption is too high.

Get away from diets with names. It will be a lifestyle change that includes eating as few highly processed foods as possible, get in plenty of quality protein, some good fats and minimal calories from liquids. You’ll include foods you love from time to time in small amounts.

Be sure to get in as much activity as possible.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,174 Member
    Options
    It would be good to have a time-line for these changes. When did you stop the Cambridge diet and how much weight have you gained since then?
    Short-term gains will lead to a different answer than long-term.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    It would be good to have a time-line for these changes. When did you stop the Cambridge diet and how much weight have you gained since then?
    Short-term gains will lead to a different answer than long-term.

Endorsed. If you go from a 700 calorie routine to 1500 calories, there will almost certainly be an immediate multi-pound/multi-kilogram scale jump. Nearly all of it will be increased water retention and waste in the digestive system from increased food volume . . . not fat.

If 1500 calories is still a calorie deficit for you, weight is likely to hold there for a bit, then start dropping again. Give it 4 weeks or so, or a full menstrual cycle if you have those.

If it's been well longer than that already, you've unfortunately found maintenance calories or more. (An accurate 1500 calories would likely be a deficit for a large fraction of people, unless quite petite, sedentary, aging, and/or close to goal weight, plus female.)

For sure, don't panic or over-react. Analyze.

Many people over-react to an initial scale jump, which can lead to poor outcomes. Give it time, if you haven't already.

If you feel up to it, maybe let us know how things shake out?

Best wishes!